Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of schools TEFL teachers work in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White ice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: What kind of schools TEFL teachers work in. Reply with quote

I have been looking into TEFL for a while now and am doing my CELTA in two weeks time. I already have a BA.

What I am slightly confused about is whether its possible to get a job in a normal school teaching English rather than teaching at a language school?

Am i correct in thinking that the vast majority of TEFL teachers teach in language schools rather than helping in English classes of regular schools?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of schools TEFL teachers work in. Reply with quote

White ice wrote:
I have been looking into TEFL for a while now and am doing my CELTA in two weeks time. I already have a BA.

What I am slightly confused about is whether its possible to get a job in a normal school teaching English rather than teaching at a language school? Am i correct in thinking that the vast majority of TEFL teachers teach in language schools rather than helping in English classes of regular schools?

What do you mean by "normal or regular" schools? If you're referring to schools that teach children (i.e., k-12 grades), most require teachers have a teaching license from their home country. But since you're getting a CELTA, we can assume you intend to teach adults.
White ice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of schools TEFL teachers work in. Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

What do you mean by "normal or regular" schools? If you're referring to schools that teach children (i.e., k-12 grades), most require teachers have a teaching license from their home country. But since you're getting a CELTA, we can assume you intend to teach adults.

Yeah i mean schools where other subjects are also taught along with English.

From what I have read CELTA is useful for whatever age you are teaching and many teach children with a CELTA.

I have not narrowed down what ages I want to teach.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the answer to your question lies in where you want to teach.

In Western and Central Europe (and North America), a CELTA mostly qualifies one to teach in language schools, but not in regular schools. Here, it is mostly local teachers who handle English language teaching in K-12.

International schools, as nomadsoul points out, require teachers who are certified and experienced in their home countries (I mean licensed teachers, not CELTA certified).

Some of us teach in regular universities where other subjects are taught, but such positions in this region usually require more qualifications than BA+CELTA.

I think it's different in Asia, and maybe in Latin America, but I don't know - I expect others will be along soon who can address this.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, let us not forget the ever-more-popular private, non-governement funded K-12 school. At least in Central European cities these are becoming ever more popular. It is not necessary for native speakers to have a teaching license in order to work in these institutions. The contracts can be for a few "Native Speaker Lessons" per week or even full-time, well-paid positions. It is usually necessary to have some experience with children and sometimes an actual education degree to get the better of these positions, however.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did forget - I agree there are more of these around than in the past. I don't think openings are rampant, though...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a local English K-12 school or an international school? You'll probably need to have a teaching license to teach in those? The local English schools MIGHT hire a native speaker without a license.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of schools TEFL teachers work in. Reply with quote

White ice wrote:

What I am slightly confused about is whether its possible to get a job in a normal school teaching English rather than teaching at a language school?

Am i correct in thinking that the vast majority of TEFL teachers teach in language schools rather than helping in English classes of regular schools?

It really depends on where you are from (country of passport - not residence), where you earned your degree (anglophone country?) and where on the planet you want to teach.

In Asia it is not uncommon for new teachers without teaching licenses in their home country to get entry level jobs as Assistant Language Teachers in countries like Japan (JET program), S.Korea (EPIK/GEPIK), China and Thailand.

The majority of the other entry level jobs in EFL/ESL occur in language academies (after school, weekends, before/after the usual 9-5 workday).

sparks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're just private schools, usually offering some sort of extra classes in English, or entire programs in English. Apparently they are not super-difficult to open, in Poland at least. Once you get out of the state run system yo ucna pretty much do as you please and hire Native Speakers without proper certifications.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of schools TEFL teachers work in. Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
White ice wrote:

It really depends on where you are from (country of passport - not residence), where you earned your degree (anglophone country?) and where on the planet you want to teach.

In Asia it is not uncommon for new teachers without teaching licenses in their home country to get entry level jobs as Assistant Language Teachers in countries like Japan (JET program), S.Korea (EPIK/GEPIK), China and Thailand.

The majority of the other entry level jobs in EFL/ESL occur in language academies (after school, weekends, before/after the usual 9-5 workday).

This and it may also depend on your major. You might find work teaching your major in some countries but it is more likely that they would want a masters.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a particular reason why you want to teach in a mainstream school rather than a language school? If it is because you think you'll get paid better, then you may have to think again - although as my colleagues indicate, there is variation around the globe. My guess is that in places like France, where people get paid decently (if they have jobs at all), then you would have to be a 'real' teacher (qualified teacher status or whatever).

In many cases elsewhere, you may join a scheme where you can join the local teaching team but it will be ill-paid and you'll almost certainly get the local salary or worse. Whereas in the same town, you will get better pay as a native speaker at a language school. I know people criticise language schools for the poor pay, but that is generally in comparison with western salaries. On the whole, language school salaries for native speakers are better than local school salaries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: