Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on using OUP's "Let's Go" books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncaraway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Thoughts on using OUP's "Let's Go" books Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's Go is OK as a series (workbook, skills book and pupil book with CD)... get the teachers manual to go with it and you will do fine.

If they just use the "pupil book" for "conversation" classes then it is very incomplete and hard to work with (boring comes to mind).

I prefer the everybody up series (similar but updated) but again as a complete package and not just the pupil book as a stand alone.

My only real complaint with both series is the lack of support for multi-media (their I-Tools for Let's go and Everybody Up is nothing more than the book put onto a DVD).

fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a bit of discussion about Let's Go here:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=95091
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ncaraway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one week into the school term and thought I'd share my initial thoughts.

First, the comment about the necessity of the teachers manual is right on. My school only has one copy of the manuals and they don't leave the school. That's a bit problematic since I am tasked with writing the lesson plans, which I do from home on weekends. I'll figure out a way around that. It's a budget shortcoming, not a book shortcoming.

Second, the first book in the series, "Let's Begin", doesn't seem appropriate for the pre-schoolers (age 3-5) that I'm working with. I do not expect them to be able to read or write anytime soon given that their 3 hours a week with me is their only exposure to English. I've got the OK from my boss to focus on listening/speaking with simple vocabulary (numbers, colors, shapes, simple nouns).

Finally, I had high hopes for the OUP website and multi-media but am disappointed. There isn't much web content. Also, we don't have the teacher cards, either. I suspect having them would be helpful, but I'm not sure.

Overall, the series is OK - so far. I would recommend it with the caveats listed in this thread.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught from that series in 1996 and I have to say I can still sing most of the songs and chants from book one, two, and three.
Shocked
Does your school have the Let's Chant, Let's Sing supplement? I think my students learned most of their English from the Chants (which are written by Carolyn Graham.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: