Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asia Pacific University & Malaysian Salaries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Asia Pacific University & Malaysian Salaries Reply with quote

I have been corresponding with APU for weeks now, and been scheduled for a Skype interview, but they have been extremely cagey about how much they pay. The application form even asks YOU what salary you expect!

It's hard to get current information on what a good salary in Malaysia is, I've found. I have a B.A. in English Literature, a Masters of Education, Pathwise Mentor Certification, and have taught ESL in Arabia, Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand, as well as being licensed and certified in American schools for Language Arts.

Does anybody know what the Malaysians in general, and Asian Pacific in particular, pay their teachers? (I see an ad that the M.O.E. project is paying 7000-9000, but I don't want to teach elementary school....)

Thanks!
spiffing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten thousand. Less than eight thousand: forget it. The 'cagey' behavior must be warning enough.
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's something I have never liked in a posting. The salary could be high, it could be low; but it's the one thing you don't want sprung on you after you've invested time and energy filling out forms and building expectations!

The only think I dislike more than "competitive salary", is "what salary do you expect" on a long application form....

Part of the problem, though, for me is that although I've lived in Thailand, it's hard to know what's a break-even salary in Kuala Lumpur, and what's actually good money.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now ı feel lıke an ıdıot acceptıng 4000 rınggıts + 1000 monthly housıng allowance
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Gumi, from what I understand, 5000 is the least you CAN be offered legally for the working visa -- but Malaysia is new ground for me, and I keep hoping a Brit or two (for they seem to have worked this territory before
#;- ) will continue to talk about it....
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
now ı feel lıke an ıdıot acceptıng 4000 rınggıts + 1000 monthly housıng allowance

Have you started teaching in Malaysia yet, gloomy? Please spill the beans on your new job! Very Happy
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the Letter from Malaysia Immı and need to brıng ıt to a Malaysia Embassy here ın Turkey to get ıt processed and then thats all she wrote.

WE had to send proof of our resıdence here ınTurkey as ANOTHER NEVER-ENDING requırement as thıs has now PASSED 1 YEAR OF TOTAL PROCESSING TIME.

So looks lıke thıs wıll be done as soon as we fınd the nearest Malaysıa Embassy here ın Turkey.

After that ıts just bookıng the tıx to KL.

But yea the POE I sıgned months back now saıd 4000 rınggıt plus 1000 housıng. DOES THAT SUCK THEN? ARE WE SCREWED? NEED TO KNOW!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
But yea the POE I sıgned months back now saıd 4000 rınggıt plus 1000 housıng. DOES THAT SUCK THEN? ARE WE SCREWED? NEED TO KNOW!

I'm equally curious what is the proper range for university lecturers.
sushikurva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sushikurva on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueMango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that University of Nottingham are paying their EAP teachers between 5 and 6k per month. Not really enough to get excited about.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueMango wrote:
I heard that University of Nottingham are paying their EAP teachers between 5 and 6k per month. Not really enough to get excited about.
5000 Rinngits = US$1,550.

And U Nottingham would be the foreign university with the high salaries for the country.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average pay for a lecturer is RM 46,317 per year.

UTM pays between 2546 - 6113 Ringgit per month (depending on experience) for a Lecturer with a Masters Degree. With a Doctorate, it goes from 4573 - 7029 Ringgit.

Remember that an initial tax of 26 % applies. Once you've been in the country for more than 180 days, it will drop to 12 % if you chase up the tax office, fill out the forms and fight for it.

There is a monthly housing allowance of 700 Ringgit.

Check if you have to pay for health insurance, flight in-and out, extra baggage, working visa, conference attendance, settling in costs, communication allowance, etc.

@ gloomyGumi: Yes, you are getting screwed.

@ Rousseau Redhawk: I'd say 5,000 Ringgit is a break even salary (depending on the other benefits), but would expect $ 10,000 (plus some benefits like visa, flights, health insurance) for my efforts.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
The average pay for a lecturer is RM 46,317 per year.

46,317.00 MYR = 14,526.73 USD

Yikes! That's pretty consistent with what someone else I knew working in Malaysia was making.
dustdevil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: $@?+ Reply with quote

Screw Malaysia. I've had extensive ties and residence there. If SE Asia is what you want, Thailand is 10x better in every way...especially the refinement and courtesy of the people!
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, that's convinced me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: