Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interview tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to answer my questions?
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert at interviewing but a couple of simple things you should think about - accent, enuciation and talking speed.

I tend to talk fast so I really have to make a conscious effort to slow down when I'm talking to non-native speakers.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: ndeed Reply with quote

mrmarsit wrote:
LOL anymore enthusiasm and energy. I'd be a cartoon.

Japan does love cartoons.

Forgive me for asking, but is your CV full of spelling mistakes?

If you answer Glenski's questions one by one, we might be able to give you some advice to improve, or tell you why you're not a good candidate.
mrmarsit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: ndeed Reply with quote

resume had a few but has been updated months ago.
Seriously I don't think I'd make to an interview if grammar and spelling were an issue.
mrmarsit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: ndeed Reply with quote

@OneJoelFifty & Glenski how would you answer the interview questions?

@kathrynoh

I to can be a speedy talker + sometimes I ramble. But I check myself during interviews by keeping myself calm and cool.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: ndeed Reply with quote

mrmarsit wrote:
@OneJoelFifty & Glenski how would you answer the interview questions?

What questions were you asked?!

My first interview in Japan was over the phone with a dispatch company that was looking to get bodies in Japan and into schools as quickly as possible. The questions were simple, as long as you seemed amiable and didn't say you'd hit the students or try to deal with troublesome student-teacher relationships in a dumb way, you got the job.

My second interview was in person, for a much more discerning company, and over an hour long. I was told on arrival that I had little chance of getting a job, and it was more of a discussion about me and the education system in Japan. I was extremely honest, and didn't lie when asked things like whether there was anyone who inspired me when I was a student (I said not really - perhaps my college teacher who, like me, failed most of his exams through lack of effort and went to university a few years later). This, combined with a slight rant about what I felt was wrong with the public schooling system and English teaching in Japan, got me the job.

I suspect the eikawas you've been interviewing for fall somewhere in between the two companies I've dealt with. The current competition for jobs (and remember that people already in Japan, often with visas, have a big advantage over you from the start) means you'll need a bit extra when you interview. And I doubt that the complete honesty approach will help.
mrmarsit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: ndeed Reply with quote

@OneJoelFifty
Decent info thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: