Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best solution to my visa problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Best solution to my visa problem? Reply with quote

Here's a concise overview of my situation:

Arrived in Thailand jobless; accepted a short term contract with a company; agreed to re-sign at the start of the next term.

I'll save bleating about just how awful the company is for a later post, right now I need to know how to extend my visa in the interirm.

My current 60 day visa expires on 13 October, which isn't enough because I have to attend a pointless 5 day seminar from 21 to 26.

My new contract starts on 1 November.

What's my best option?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best solution to my visa problem? Reply with quote

Lord Bafford wrote:

Arrived in Thailand jobless; accepted a short term contract with a company; agreed to re-sign at the start of the next term.

I'll save bleating about just how awful the company is for a later post, right now I need to know how to extend my visa in the interirm.

My current 60 day visa expires on 13 October, which isn't enough because I have to attend a pointless 5 day seminar from 21 to 26.

What's my best option?

Run up to Laos and get a new double entry tourist visa. You don't have enough time remaining to change your status even if you did have the paperwork ready.

AFTER you have gone up to Laos and got your new tourist visa you can look for a decent job and, providing you have the appropriate documentation and 21 days remaining on your stay you can change your status from tourist to non-b.

If you need to stay with your dodgy employer then you are good for 60 days and can get a 30 day extension. At the end of that 90 days you can do a quick run to the border and get another 60+30 for a grand total of 6 months before you need to actually get a new visa.

plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You basically have 4 options. Take two week days off and spend two days and two nights getting a visa in Vientienne or Savanakhet Laos. The other options if you cannot spare any work days are:

1. For 1900 baht and use of a full passport page use the VisaThai services at the Tesco parking lot. You get a two week transit visa for a land run. You leave between 6:30 and 7:00 AM and get back around 4:30 PM the same day.

2. Leave Friday night for Mae Sai and cross the border on Saturday and get a two week land transit visa. Cost is two bus tickets and 500 baht to get into Burma for one day. With this method you at least don't waste an entire passport page.

3. As of today you can go to the AirAsia kiosk at the Airport or wherever you can find it and get a relatively cheap round trip ticket to Kuala Lumpur for a one month transit visa by air. To make it as cheap as possible you will have to stay the night at the airport. Cost is 120 US dollars- that's if you buy the tickets today.
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution to my visa problem? Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Lord Bafford wrote:

What's my best option?

Run up to Laos and get a new double entry tourist visa. You don't have enough time remaining to change your status even if you did have the paperwork ready.

AFTER you have gone up to Laos and got your new tourist visa you can look for a decent job and, providing you have the appropriate documentation and 21 days remaining on your stay you can change your status from tourist to non-b.

If you need to stay with your dodgy employer then you are good for 60 days and can get a 30 day extension. At the end of that 90 days you can do a quick run to the border and get another 60+30 for a grand total of 6 months before you need to actually get a new visa.

I haven't yet extended my visa for 30 days, so would it be best to pay the 1900 baht for the extension and then head up to Laos for a new visa?

Changing companies at this juncture would be a major headache and, considering I don't plan on getting a non b( I don't want to get a CRB check), perhaps this is the best option?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: