Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asking for Facebook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monika13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Asking for Facebook Reply with quote

Hi, I'm currently talking to another school in Japan and they are asking to view my Facebook page. I don't have one, but I did have one a while back that I deactivated. Is it better to have a Facebook page for employers or does it really not matter? Should I reactivate my page and give them access? What's the best thing to do in a situation like this?

Thanks
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm frankly surprised that any employer would ask for such a thing, and even more surprised that a Japanese one would. Is there a foreigner on staff to review your application?

About the only real reason I can imagine that someone would want to see it is to get a look at the types of posts you make and get. Lots of talk about partying would be a turn-off, for example.

If you don't have a current page, tell them so. It's no crime. I begrudgingly created one and have probably the least information on it that is humanly possible. I hardly ever go there because I prefer privacy in my affairs, I don't trust its security system, and I prefer to communicate via email.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell then you don't have one.

If they asked me, and I do have one, I might politely refuse and tell them that it's for friends and family only.
Mr. Leafy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some teachers who keep two; one for friends and family and one for their professional network, which may include adult students. But if you don't already do this it doesn't seem worth it just for this one job.

Are you concerned that they won't believe you don't have one and will think you are hiding something? Why not just say you don't?
timothypfox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they do ask these days. The person who hired me (an American) wanted to see my Facebook page.

They may want it to get an idea of your character, and see you at work, or with family or friends. These days Facebook pages need to be quite sanitary as parents now join and co-workers now add you as friends.

Go back over photos, and remove the ones that are too crazy. Remove posts where you are negative about things (particularly previous work or ones where you express a crazed vendetta against someone) except for news things that everyone will be negative about (unemployment is bad!, hot summer weather is too dry this year!).
Inflames

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Leafy wrote:
I know some teachers who keep two; one for friends and family and one for their professional network, which may include adult students

This is exactly what I have done. In addition, I go by a nickname and that is what is on my facebook page for friends - someone searching for the name on my resume would never find it (not to mention it's a fairly common name).

One of the things to do would be to create a facebook page, put up a picture of a pet (note: it must be "cute") and post a ton of food reviews along with pictures of food. If you do this, everything will be OK.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was said, politely refuse to even aswer the question. It's none of their business and should be illegal to be asked for when interviewing for a job.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
They may want it to get an idea of your character, and see you at work, or with family or friends. These days Facebook pages need to be quite sanitary as parents now join and co-workers now add you as friends.
Or they can be so private and personal that an employer wouldn't need to see it.

IMO, it's almost like asking to read your personal mail for the last 6 months.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you do have facebook and they search for you, they might determine that you're a liar. Never use your real name on FB. Use an alias or at the very least change your last name in the settings and don't use your face for the profile picture.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
Actually, they do ask these days. The person who hired me (an American) wanted to see my Facebook page.

That is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. There are a couple of test cases making their way through the courts in the US right now about this sort of thing. The employers are going to lose and it will cost them millions. Good thing too. Completely bone headed thing to expect of applicants.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking for your facebook page is a GREAT BIG RED FLAG.

They're waving it in your (pardon the pun) face, too.

You could just make you facebook profile visible to friends only (it's hidden away in your privacy settings), which makes the question moot - they wouldn't be able to see anything anyway, and if they try to add you just tell them that your facebook page is strictly NOT for work-based relationships.

Nevertheless, just by asking for such info, they would have put themselves right at the top of my "fuck off" list.
Mr. Leafy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once looked at the FB page of the lead foreign teacher who was going to be one of the people interviewing me for a job. He'd written that he had failed his CELTA and was flying to Thailand to redo it someplace where everyone passed. I withdrew my application.

It sounded like a good place to work (only part-time in addition to my regular job) but I would hate to have him in my management chain. Partly for what he said and partly for being so dumb as to leave that info accessible to all.

Even if interviewers don't ask, assume they look for you on FB.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is a powerful tool but a double-edged sword. Make sure your privacy settings are tight.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wrote:

G Cthulhu responded:
That is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. There are a couple of test cases making their way through the courts in the US right now about this sort of thing. The employers are going to lose and it will cost them millions. Good thing too. Completely bone headed thing to expect of applicants.

Good to know that for future reference. However, Japan is not the US, and at the time I was desperate to get the job and get the hell out of the NYC DOE.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
Quote:
I wrote:

G Cthulhu responded:

Good to know that for future reference. However, Japan is not the US, and at the time I was desperate to get the job and get the hell out of the NYC DOE.

DOE?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: