Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would schools rather have male or female teachers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monika13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Would schools rather have male or female teachers? Reply with quote

Would schools rather have male or female teachers?

^

I'm kind of curious about this. Do you see more males or females teaching? What grades are they usually teaching? IE females are usually kindergarten teachers while males are high school etc. Are there more male teachers because they are preferred or because foreign women don't want to come to Japan as much?

Thanks for all input Smile
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big question, simply because "teaching" covers quite the ground, from conversation school to university level.

Let's just assume you are like most newbies and are qualified only for ALT work or eikaiwa. I don't have any figures to draw on, but I think there are more males in this biz in Japan than females. There are probably several reasons for that, but I think most are unrelated to your concerns.

I don't think it matters for ALT work whether you are male or female. If the job is with very young kids (kindergarten, for example, or even pre-school), then women are usually considered over men.

Eikaiwa, if there are many younger children as clients, they would probably prefer a female teacher. Otherwise, it's largely a matter of just personal chemistry and personality, IMO.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think schools tend to prefer women to work with young kids.

I'd say there are more foreign guys in Japan because it's a more appealing place for men to come. It's a very patriarchal society, and foreign guys generally have an elevated status with Japanese girls. This definitely doesn't work the other way around.
Inflames

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneJoelFifty wrote:

I'd say there are more foreign guys in Japan because it's a more appealing place for men to come. It's a very patriarchal society, and foreign guys generally have an elevated status with Japanese girls. This definitely doesn't work the other way around.

I would tend to disagree with this. Foreign guys come for a variety of reasons and foreign women definitely have an "elevated status" with Japanese men.

Either way, foreigners are almost always not even on the totem pole of Japanese society. My boss was saying how the "secretary" quit and they needed people to translate things. Of course, this woman was seishain and had been there for years whereas my boss was a contract worker and was always afraid of being non-renewed.

As Glenski pointed out, it really depends on the school and students.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
OneJoelFifty wrote:

I would tend to disagree with this. Foreign guys come for a variety of reasons and foreign women definitely have an "elevated status" with Japanese men.
But the Japanese men are far more shy about making connections than the foreign men.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Inflames wrote:
OneJoelFifty wrote:

But the Japanese men are far more shy about making connections than the foreign men.

Perhaps I put that the wrong way, you're right. I didn't mean to imply that it was the only reason guys come over here, but I'd say it often plays a big part in them staying longer.

Perhaps foreign women do enjoy an elevated status with Japanese men. But as well as what Glenski said, foreign women generally wouldn't list Japanese men as a reason to move to Japan.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably female teachers, since most teachers are males.

Depends on the school. Some places want people who are good at Japanese and some want people with MAs, regardless of gender.

Where I used to work a female was hired to teach high school. She only had a BA but got the job. All the other teachers had MAs.
Inflames

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:

But there are far more Japanese men than foreign men.

The only women who I met who lived in Japan for a few years but couldn't get Japanese boyfriends tended to either complain incessantly or simply just reject Japanese men. There were a few outliers (such as a former colleague who got pregnant with a man 20 years older yet was surprised when everything fell apart), but most tended to be in one of those categories.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
Glenski wrote:

That's not the point. There are fewer foreign women than men here because of the women's reasons, not the number of J men.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Inflames wrote:
Glenski wrote:

That's not the point. There are fewer foreign women than men here because of the women's reasons, not the number of J men.

What do you mean by "the women's reasons"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: