Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter of Invitation/ Visa process

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazziz23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Letter of Invitation/ Visa process Reply with quote

hello. I was accepted for a school in Russia. They applied for the Letter of Invitation and will mail it over to me.

How long does it usually take for it to get from Russia to North America?

It's been about 2 weeks now. And how long will it take for me to apply and get the working visa?
Shelby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the time for obtaining a visa in America but where I am it takes a month for the school to obtain the letter of invitation.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy god. Dear Jesus please don't let it take that long. I'm living with my grandparents in West Plains, Missouri.
Shelby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps we have managed to obtain some letters of invitation in less than a month but a month is the standaard time here (Moscow maybe different). In the UK the visa takes about a week once you have the letter of invitation but can be done in one day at extra cost - not sure about the process in the US.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience... These things take time and run according to their own logic. It will all come right, in the end. But there's the thing - there really is no end to the process. Once you get to Russia, there'll be another round of paperwork to deal with, and then another. Whether that is getting registration, renewing a three-month visa, or whatever. No point in worrying too much about all this. Just wait it out....
njs7t3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: In the meantime... Reply with quote

This is not necessarily the appropriate thread for this discussion, but I feel a little family love on the Russia/C.I.S. boards, so forgive me for the tangent. I'll be working for BAC in Moscow. I'm learning the Cyrillic alphabet with homemade flash cards, started Pimsleur Russian language lessons today, I'm exercising, and I'll be going to nearby Springfield later this week for some suit and boot shopping. I'm a newly qualified teacher. What else can I do while I'm waiting to prepare for what's coming? I've got my copy of Swan...any coursebooks, new-teacher books/websites, intro lessons...can y'all suggest anything? Should I be taking ice baths to prepare for the weather? Smile
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already done so, read up a little on the history and culture of Moscow and Russia, perhaps. 'Natasha's Dance' by Orlando Figes is a joy to read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natashas-Dance-Cultural-History-Russia/dp/0140297960
Mart1300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Invitation Reply with quote

I don't want to scare you off but I've been having a horrible time getting my invitation. Once my invitation was prepared it took just shy of two months to finally arrive here in Washington. I just finally applied for my visa and with any luck will be leaving within two weeks. My original start date was September 3rd! Hah! Now it's going to be in October. I suppose this is my welcome to Russia Laughing I truly hope you have better luck!
njs7t3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrifying. Fabulous. Rolling Eyes
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, fellas, you're all going to have to loosen up with regard to paperwork and things being done in a timely manner. Expect such matters, and most others, to continue with the same uncertainty even after you reach Russian soil. It's all part of the experience - however frustrating you may find it. But have faith! It will all come right in the end. By hook or by crook...

Be patient. Russia will embrace you soon.

Here. Listen to some inspiring music while you listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6smz9JoBB2o&feature=related
njs7t3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just anxious to get out of here. I'm down with the bureaucracy once I get there.
Jazziz23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm concerned with is originally they wanted me to come in mid Oct, now it looks like November at earliest.

They already have the LOI, said they mailed it 2 weeks ago. I just wondered what the normal time is for it to get to here.

Plus, once I get it, it's gonna take another month to apply and get the work visa. so realistically we are looking at a month or 2 delay.

I don't know how the mail system works over there. That's why I was asking.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't they using DHL or UPS to post you the Invitation? The Russian Post Office isn't trusted by the locals for important documents.
macan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my invitation 2 weeks after accepting a position....in a mangled and soaking wet package (which seeped through and stained the letter)...

This sounds like it may have been quicker than some, but I anticipate the visa process to take a very long time as I have to apply through an agency because there is no consulate where I live.
lechatbleu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was about a month from the time I accepted the job until the letter arrived at my door in Minnesota. After that the visa took about a week, but I went through a processing company and put a rush on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: