Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*beep* Riot story?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a curious story alright. Been playing for decades and nobody minded. However, to say this indicates an upsurge in theological concerns is still a stretch, I think. Look at the people who are the most staunch 'new believers'. Many of them are ex-KGB and Communist Party members. What do they see in their church? Not salvation, but what they have always sought: power.

Most people I know aren't even baptised. Ask your friends or students, if you can do so tactfully. You might be surprised to learn that most of them are the same as mine. I say that undermines any BBC claims that Russia is or is becoming 'devout'. Far from it. No matter how much the church is in the headlines, it remains as it was ever: a tool of the government, useful for exploiting the social divide between the capital and the villages.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to one or two of my acquaintances, the villains go to church because they've got a lot of sins to expiate.

I don't know about baptism, but some of the people I know do go to church regularly. And others mutter about getting 'closer to God' (maybe that means they're not going to church but they're thinking about going).

Or perhaps this part of Russia is the bible belt.
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the phrase 'devoutly religious' means that people actively practice their religion, and I don't see that happening on a wide scale in Russia. Sure, there are a few who do, but most people here seem to be agnostic or atheist in practice.

The thing about the Orthodox church, though, is that it is very much connected to the Russian nation, and the Russian national identity, which many here will do anything to defend. I might even go so far as to say that the authorities view protecting the Orthodox church as tantamount to protecting Russia itself, and they very much want to be seen as the defenders of Russia.

So I wouldn't say that Russia is a 'devoutly religious' country, but it is one where the church is considered sacred, at least.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's fairly close to my understanding of things. It's like the phrase 'Russian soul' - it is merely about Russian character, 'mentality', and cultural predisposition than anything truly spiritual. The church is a symbol of national identity, like a flag. A symbol that is being revived, after years of being ignored or pushed underground. Not the same thing as genuine religiosity. More of that to be found on the head of a matchstick than in most parts of Moscow.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little wikimap too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Religion_in_the_world.PNG
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Here's a little wikimap too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Religion_in_the_world.PNG

A very interesting map, and while it is largely what one would expect, I did find a couple of surprises, such as the US (I thought would be higher) and Germany (I thought would be lower). This could be useful for classroom discussions, too.
Avogadro's Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a recently baptized Orthodox Christian. I converted because my fiancee is devout, and she insisted. It is quite a change for an American who grew up in an Evangelical Church in the heartland of the USA.

My fiancee is the exception. Many people I know are baptized, but haven't been to church in years. I do notice most people have little icons in their cars, and most of the buses and marshrutne taxis have them, but that doesn't qualify them as "devout."

As for the Riot issue, my fiancee is of the opinion that Christ is about forgiveness and the church should forgive them. They should get some punishment, but 2 years in prison is extreme.

Only one or two of my students have even mentioned the controversy, so for Russians it isn't such a big story.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thick plottens: one *beep* Rioter is freed!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19893008
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: