Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand's Teaching Materials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surendra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Thailand's Teaching Materials Reply with quote

Hello all.
I am very pro-actively looking into Thailand after my contract here in Korea. I was wondering what sources are used in the government schools (or any schools I guess). I have made heavy use of pre-made powerpoints as I am not a teacher by trade. Do many teacher's make up their own material or have to follow a certain curriculum?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The private schools I have worked at vary regarding this. Some provide the students with published ESL language books and the teachers with scans of the book (or you can just provide your own scans ), other schools provide a rudimentary library with photocopied game books and photocopied lesson books and make you put together a lesson letting you use a photocopier.

Last edited by plumpy nut on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
through the agency Oriental English

You mention these guys a lot specifically by name. Do you have some kind of connection or vested interest?

to the OP:

Dont expect to be able to use powerpoints in most government school sunless teaching at a decent EP program that will have the resources to do so.

Schools vary from unbelievably horrible to great as far as reources and materials are concerned. If this is very important to you, it would be best to interview in country and be able to see what the school has to offer in person.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thailand's Teaching Materials Reply with quote

surendra wrote:
Hello all.
I am very pro-actively looking into Thailand after my contract here in Korea. I was wondering what sources are used in the government schools (or any schools I guess). I have made heavy use of pre-made powerpoints as I am not a teacher by trade. Do many teacher's make up their own material or have to follow a certain curriculum?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

Depending on the school your available resources may vary from excellent (projector and e-board with 25 kids in a large air-conditioned room) to abysmal (white board or chalk board in a small room with 55 kids and 2 fans).

This isn't Korea. You are unlikely to find anything decent from abroad.

Get a double entry tourist visa from the Thai embassy in Seoul, land and hit the pavement running with your resume in hand.

Anyone who qualifies for an E2 and has the wherewithal that Ghod gave to green apples should be able to fine something decent either in BKK or one of the close in provincial capitals. Stay away from tourist areas (costs are higher and wages are lower with lots of competition) and be on the ground between March and mid May for the best choices of positions.

surendra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the input.

@tttompatz. I've seen everyone say come here and hit the ground running. I am not opposed to that as it would allow me to be a little picky but how does one go about securing a residency while on the tourist visa? I've read that finding an average paying job could take up to a month.

I plan on being in BKK if all goes well. I do want to avoid touristy spots. I know my worth and experience.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surendra wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input.

@tttompatz. I've seen everyone say come here and hit the ground running. I am not opposed to that as it would allow me to be a little picky but how does one go about securing a residency while on the tourist visa? I've read that finding an average paying job could take up to a month.

I plan on being in BKK if all goes well. I do want to avoid touristy spots. I know my worth and experience.

All you need to rent an apartment (daily, weekly or short term) is your passport with a valid entry stamp and an exit form (stapled into your passport when you arrive) and the cash for the rent and deposit.

There are expats in Thailand who have been here for years on double entry tourist visas.

Banking on the other hand is problematic without a visa and work permit.
It might be in your best interest to leave an account (with internet and ATM access) open with some cash in it if you don't want to drag large sums of cash around with you.

surendra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz, thank you for the reply.

While I have your attention in this thread, do you happen to know a site that has listings for Thai apartments in BKK or is this simply SO easy to find?

And as I have been looking into Japan and know immigration is tight, does Thai Immigration require me to have an outgoing ticket or "plan"?

Thanks for your wisdom.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surendra wrote:
tttompatz, thank you for the reply.

While I have your attention in this thread, do you happen to know a site that has listings for Thai apartments in BKK or is this simply SO easy to find?

And as I have been looking into Japan and know immigration is tight, does Thai Immigration require me to have an outgoing ticket or "plan"?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Immigration won't worry much about it. Foreigners making runs to the border are so common (2 or 3 agencies doing a full mini-bus every day) that they don't care.

The airline will be the pain in the butt but it becomes a non-issue if you have an actual visa rather than just trying to fly in and get your visa waiver stamp.

surendra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which visa should I have before coming?

If I came to Thailand before finding a job, I won't have the "non-immigrant B" Visa. Would a multi-entry visa get the airpline off my back?

Thanks again.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surendra wrote:
Which visa should I have before coming?

If I came to Thailand before finding a job, I won't have the "non-immigrant B" Visa. Would a multi-entry visa get the airpline off my back?

Thanks again.

Double entry tourist visa gets the airline off your back and will, with a simple run to a border, get effectively give you 6 months to find a job and change your status.

a) get a tourist visa (gives you 5 months to find work and change your status)
b) fly to thailand
c) find temporary housing (rooming house).
d) find a job
e) get your paperwork in order to change your status (stuff from the employer).
f) change to a non-b (can be done in BKK if you have more than 21 days remaining on your allowed stay. Quick trip to Laos if you do not. Non-b is good for 90 days.
g) Employer applies for your Work permit and you start work (legally).
h) work permit arrives and is good until your non-b expiry.
i) extend the non-b for the rest of your year/contract.
j) extend the W/P to match the non-b.

surendra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great, concise info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: