Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bulgaria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamallo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Bulgaria Reply with quote

Hi
I haven't seen any posts on Bulgaria, but I'm giving serious thought to moving there or Romania in the very near future. My main source of income is as a freelance translator and teaching English is really not a financial necessary, but it would be nice to earn a little extra cash and force myself to leave the computer screen and interact with people.
I'd appreciate learning from anyone who has been to or is in Bulgaria about the possibilities of teaching English - I wouldn't want to do more than 10 hours a week.
I've done some research on the cost of living and it seems very feasible to live on a budget of around 1,000 euros. I would be grateful for input on this point as well.
I should note that I'm 55 and will need to get health insurance - both as a requirement for my visa as well being something wise to have.
Essentially what I'm looking for is somewhere in Europe that is reasonably pleasant,, has a low cost of living and is a country where non-EU citizens (I'm an American) can get a residence permit.
TIA
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can live on 1000 Euros a month but getting residence as an American is NOT easy. Jobs are few and pay peanuts.

try the website

www.mybulgaria.info

PM me if u want more. I have had a Bulgarian link since 1991 and am there now visiting my daughters.

U need 5 posts to send PM's
jamallo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot

I earn more than enough to support myself through my translation work, so teaching English isn't superior important. It would simply be nice to do a little on the side.
I'm new to the list so can't PM you, so would you please PM me as I like to learn from your experience in Bulgaria.

Thanks
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're likely gonna have to consider marrying a Bulgarian to get legal residence Very Happy Laughing Cool

You can't receive pms either until you have 6 posts. I suggest a series of very short posts to get you up to the quota.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are hoops to jump through and it is quite complicated
3 ways for non-EU

1. job and work permit
2. marriage to BG or other EU citizen
3 business

get some more posts and then we can send and receive pm's
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is EXREMELY unlikely that anyone can earn from teaching to live in BG as an EFLer. If you have a source of income from outside it can be a pleasant -and cheap place to live. Personally I would avoid Sofia and go for one of the other cities or large towns, despised by those in Sofia as "The Provinces"

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
corniche

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also combine translation, teaching, just did some trilingual "acting" for an instructional video. What are your language combinations? Do you have a specialty? My official translation and interpretation languages are Eng Fr Sp Port Ital, though I was singing Macedonian at a recent party Wink
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is serious about going to live in Bulgaria I can be contacted by pm. I lived there and worked there for soime years, beforfe deciding that workingin the Middle East was a more sensible way to earn my daily bread.

I have now retired to my native Scotia but visit Bulgaria regularly. I was there three times in 2012.

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
artemisia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corniche wrote:
I was singing Macedonian at a recent party Wink

Impressive. Looks & sounds like a very difficult language to learn. (Or was it really �Macedonian�? Generously helped along by liquids�? Wink. In which case I could sing along too.).

Anastasija
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_uEfTmRJiA&feature=related
corniche

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemisia wrote:
corniche wrote:
I was singing Macedonian at a recent party Wink

Impressive. Looks & sounds like a very difficult language to learn. (Or was it really �Macedonian�? Generously helped along by liquids�? Wink. In which case I could sing along too.).

Anastasija
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_uEfTmRJiA&feature=related

Haha. Actually it was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKRaXPYSzKY

Next time gonna be this one in Bulgarian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWPTqdT79Rs

Macedonian is not hard. Every letter has one voice!
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that Macedonian singers seem to have those very long drawn out, melismatic notes that sometimes remind me of Arabic singers or of Gregorian chants.

Very cool links, thank you.
corniche

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemisia wrote:
I've noticed that Macedonian singers seem to have those very long drawn out, melismatic notes that sometimes remind me of Arabic singers or of Gregorian chants.

Very cool links, thank you.

First song, Zajdi zajdi, condensed translation:

Set, set, clear sun, you too, clear moon.
Sad mountain forest, I am also sad; you for your lost leaves, I for my lost youth.
But your leaves will come back, my youth is gone forever.

The singer To�e Proeski, his native language was Aromanian. He sang all over the former yu in everybody,s dialect, but unfortunately he died in a car crash.

Second video, Izlel e delio haidutin, one youtube comment explains vocal technique...

very few musicians on earth have a precision like bulgarian singers. At 0:51 you can hear a natural flat seventh which is from the harmonic overtones. 99% of opera singers today do not even know the difference between the d5 she is singing and the d5 from the well tempered scale. for me bulgarian vocalists are the best worldwide, followed by indian singers like parween sultana, lata mangeshkar and others. florafox 8 months ago
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.novinite.com/articles/156192/Bulgaria%27s+Struggle+for+New+Beginning+Fateful%2c+Keep+It+Up!

I lived and worked in Bulgaria from 1991-to 1996. Living standards have fallen drastically for all - except the political class and the "mutri" (ie BG Mafiosi)

Declining quality of life led me to return to the Middle East in 1996.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: