Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tofu in Oaxaca

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basil Seal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Tofu in Oaxaca Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are any stores that sell tofu in Oaxaca? Thanks!
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on your standards!

You can get the tetra paked stuff in Chedruai and also in those little shops selling all manner of Chinese junk. Usually spilling out the door you will see paper lanterns, parasols, and wind chimes and maybe a feng shui mirror or the like. IF you go inside along the back wall you will find a selection of asian food--and they have tofu.

There are also a couple of natural shops I've heard tell of selling fresh locally made tofu, but I've lost track since I haven't been to Oaxaca much in the last three years.

You're location suggests that you are in Tuxtepec--you might have just as much luck finding it in Cordoba, Veracruz and that's quite a bit closer.
Basil Seal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! The tetra pack stuff isn't ideal but it's better than nothing. We'll look around and see what we can find.
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of decades ago, when tofu was hard to find even in DF, I made my own sometimes.

My current project of things-I-miss-from-home-and-can�t-find-here is almond milk yogurt.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A couple of decades ago, when tofu was hard to find even in DF, I made my own sometimes.

We looked into this recently...still a challenge. I'd say it's still not all that easy to find a good, firm tofu here. Our mainstay is a Costco brand and while the Super Oriental is one of the best places in city for anything Asian, they don't do tofu well.

Quote:
almond milk yogurt

hmmm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Basil Seal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time we were in DF we found good firm water-packed tofu at Mikasa in Col. Roma (http://www.gomexicoguide.com/2010/11/super-mikasa/).

We've also gotten the Silk-like no-refrigeration-needed tofu from Super Oriental before, and it's not very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: