Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Reply with quote

Hello, fellow teachers and expats.

Is anyone here worried about the current dispute with China regarding the islands off Okinawa?

I know China is trying to flex its muscles but I have a Japanese friend who told me not to worry because the US has Japan's back.

Personally, I am a little worried because I will be living in Japan and I don't want to see the situation escalate.

How are people in Japan taking the matter?
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be no war unless you mean an economic one. At the worst, a downturn in investment and tourism and possible sanctions. But, not too much. The rioting was likely Chinese government organized and sponsored including the fishing boat blockade.

It's covered a lot in the news, and I would say people are concerned - but not overly so - and neither should you. Sorry to say, but this debacle is likely to drag on a while (several years - in an out of the spotlight).
Apsara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue has come up every few years pretty much the whole time I've been in Japan, it eventually dies down only to reappear again. There's no way China would risk a war over it, that would be a monumentally stupid move on their part and they know it. It's all just posturing.
rxk22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
There will be no war unless you mean an economic one. At the worst, a downturn in investment and tourism and possible sanctions. But, not too much. The rioting was likely Chinese government organized and sponsored including the fishing boat blockade.

It's covered a lot in the news, and I would say people are concerned - but not overly so - and neither should you. Sorry to say, but this debacle is likely to drag on a while (several years - in an out of the spotlight).

I agree, no hot war.

As for economic, I believe it is already on. The Chinese govt has already allowed/encouraged riots to hamper with Japanese companies in China.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
timothypfox wrote:

I agree, no hot war.

As for economic, I believe it is already on. The Chinese govt has already allowed/encouraged riots to hamper with Japanese companies in China.

Somebody needs to check these Chinese. They are getting too ballsy. I live in a university town in the US and they ship rich Chinese over by hundreds yearly. I know they school needs to make money but these guys are driving around in Porsches and parking on the wrong side of the road, getting drunk screaming next door in the middle of the night, and generally acting all high and mighty. I really dislike the Chinese students in my area!
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:
Hello, fellow teachers and expats.

Is anyone here worried about the current dispute with China regarding the islands off Okinawa?

Nah!
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
timothypfox wrote:

I agree, no hot war.

Somebody needs to check these Chinese. They are getting too ballsy. I live in a university town in the US and they ship rich Chinese over by hundreds yearly. I know they school needs to make money but these guys are driving around in Porsches and parking on the wrong side of the road, getting drunk screaming next door in the middle of the night, and generally acting all high and mighty. I really dislike the Chinese students in my area!

Their just kids! That's what we all ewre like when they were their age. Cool
ALX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
timothypfox wrote:

I agree, no hot war.

You drove a brand new Porsche Carrera GT and parked it next to a rusty Honda Civic in a working class neighborhood when you were their age?
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALX wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
timothypfox wrote:

I agree, no hot war.

You drove a brand new Porsche Carrera GT and parked it next to a rusty Honda Civic in a working class neighborhood when you were their age?

I would have done if I could afford it! Very Happy
ALX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
ALX wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
timothypfox wrote:

I agree, no hot war.

The point is that it is irking the locals. These people have already lost jobs to China and are not well-off financially. Now these money-hungry universities are bringing over incredibly rich Chinese students by the boatloads because they pay the whole tuition up front. Something isn't right here.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALX wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
ALX wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
timothypfox wrote:

I agree, no hot war.

The point is that it is irking the locals. These people have already lost jobs to China and are not well-off financially. Now these money-hungry universities are bringing over incredibly rich Chinese students by the boatloads because they pay the whole tuition up front. Something isn't right here.

Being poor is not excuse for racism. Cool
ALX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
ALX wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
ALX wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
timothypfox wrote:

I agree, no hot war.

Being poor is not excuse for racism. Cool

I don't condone racism. I also don't condone greed. I think the OP is just mad that China is successful. Personally, I think that you shouldn't be mad at a country for being successful but I do understand why some people feel disenfranchised and stressful because of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: