Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about bank accounts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahdra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Question about bank accounts Reply with quote

Hi
I've just moved from the UK to Portugal in search of teaching opportunities.
During the move I have discovered that having a bank account is more problematic than I had realised.
My UK bank have told me that if I am not a resident in the UK for at least 6 months of the year then I cannot bank with them.
I am in the process of setting up a bank account in Portugal (slow going as I need a residency card and proof of my address). This account can be used for my wages to go into and pay my bills from. If I run into trouble with my UK bank account I assume I will have to transfer everything to the one in Portugal, which would probably not be all that easy to organise.

I'm wondering what everyone else does. I can't be the only one to hop from country to country ever year or so (that's the plan at least!) and encounter this problem. Surely you don't all hide your money in your socks each time you move country?!

Any advise our cautionary tales would be most welcome Smile
White ice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent 14 consecutive months out of the UK and had no problems with my UK banking.

I really doubt they will just close your account.

You could tell them you plan to return in a year or so.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, I've been out longer than that and had no problems with my UK bank. I did have to give them a UK c/o address for post though, they won't send stuff to me abroad. It's mostly marketing junk anyway, I get all my statements etc online.
Ahdra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll just keep it simple then Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: