Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bursa vs Adana lifestyles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doner wrote:

Eating out is cheap but the following are really expensive:

rent
gas
electricity
going to a doctor or dentist
anything imported
petrol
monthly maintainence charge for flat
deposit plus estate agent fees

Doner: either Bursa is very different from Adana or you're living in a parallel universe version of Turkey.

I can't directly speak to rent or electricity, but in Adana a cheap hotel right in the center of the city is 50 lira/night, and at 1500 lira/month for living in what's really a rather nice business hotel, I rather imagine rent and utilities would be rather less than all that, especially if you're not living right in the city center.

The maintenance charge and estate fees might be an issue with people ripping you off. I met a half Turkish/American guy who told me that even though he speaks Turkish natively, because he has an American name the emlaks always try to rip him off when he moves to a new place. But emlaks like to rip off foreigners throughout Turkey; it's a national pasttime.

And the dentist? Seriously? Adana is a major destination for dental tourism because the work is comparable to what you can get in the west, and the rate is far lower. (It's not why I came here, it was a very happy accident.) You can get a root canal and a crown done for 500 lira for both, and the very highest quote I got for those procedures is 1100 lira. In the United States, those procedures would cost about 1500-2000 dollars.

As for medical care, it's generally cheaper here than in the United States to begin with. And I hear that if you're working in Turkey legally, it's pretty much free because if you have a work visa and are paying into the Turkish medical plan, it will cover most things, even routine checkups. (This admittedly is something I can't personally confirm.)

Regards,
~Q
Shalana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Adana, but I live in Bursa, so I can comment on that.

You probably do not want to rent a place that is cheaper than 500 tl per month as you will get what you pay for. I have a big, furnished, nice place in a decent location for 600 tl per month. However, I have no idea how easy it is to come by places like mine. I went through a real estate agency and had to pay them 500 tl for a finder's fee and the landlord required 1200 tl for a deposit, so it was 1800 tl just to move in. Another place you could live to get a nicer flat for a little cheaper is Mudanya but you would have to commute 25 km into the city center of Bursa.

You could easily live on 2000tl per month if you don't eat out much. However, two people can eat out for as cheaply as 4-6 tl each, but I'm taking about a doner with ayran at a bufe/cafe. You can buy most food really cheaply at the pazar.

Except for in the winter, my utilites are very reasonable. In the winter, you can expect to pay more than 200 tl per month for gas and around 90-100 tl per month for electricity for about 4 consecutive months. Water only runs around 25 tl per month. I pay 58 tl per month for unlimited internet through TTNET which includes cable TV. They do have a cheaper package (37 tl), but it's slower.

If you come to Bursa and are making 2000 tl per month and your rent is around 600 tl and you don't go out much, you should be able to save 500-700 tl per month. However, you should be able to make more than 2000 tl per month here.

I don't know where you want to teach or what the language schools here pay, but there are two universities besides Uludağ (that doesn't hire foreigners) that you may be able to get a job at - Bursa Teknik (new this year) and Orhangazi (new for this coming fall).
krcal25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromium, yes, in Adana, if you are not paying for accomodation, you will be able to save between 800 and 1000TL a month, even if you spend a ton on going out. I lived on 1700TL/month my first year, and saved between 500 and 700TL/month, going out about twice a week. There is some nightlife here, not like Istanbul, but that's not my scene really. It's mostly cafes and bar/restaurants, so (if the music isn't too loud) it's a nice place to go with friends to have a drink and chat.
As far as rents are concerned, it is hard to find a good place for month to month at under 650TL, and that's pushing it. I'm talking uptown here though, I don't know about downtown, but it would be cheaper (I wouldn't want to live downtown though, especially as a woman/living alone). It is cheaper to rent yearly though, you will usually save about 2 months worth of rent if you rent yearly as opposed to monthly. It depends what you're looking for, but you should be able to find a liveable place for 6,000TL/year. I wouldn't pay more than 8,000TL/year though because after that it's just more than you really need, imo. To each his own though. Also, if you stay for longer than a year, the rents increase by 10%, so if your rent this year is 6,000TL, next year it will be 6,600TL. Depending on the landlord this can be negotiated. I have also heard that this happens with some month to month rents as well, but like I said, depends on the landlord.
Also, do beware the emlaks taking you for a ride as they make commission. Best to have a Turkish friend with you.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bursa has a few more jobs for teflers and as a result they feel that they don't have to offer very much to get new recruits. Adana on the other hand will most likely offer a better "package" that should include free accomodation or an allowance at least, if you wanna save you need to negioate these extras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: