Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

prospects and pay in Qatar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knautica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: prospects and pay in Qatar? Reply with quote

Hi there Smile, can you please advise me about EFL job prospects and pay in Qatar?

I have;

TESOL Cert,
TESOL Diploma,
HND Business Studies,
first degree (Open University UK),
masters degree (MA Education),
PGCE (post compulsory) = equivalent of PGDE.

I�m a director of studies of an EFL Dept. at a UK College of FE and I�ve been teaching for 17 years.

I've also recently taught BTEC Level 2 First Business (if anyone knows that)

Given my situation, what kind of jobs and salary might I expect Question Thanks very much for your help.
Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your quals, it's best to just apply to find out what you're worth. Try higheredjobs.com and chronicle.com for current openings or apply directly to universities/colleges. (You can get a list of institutions in Qatar via wikipedia.) Although peak recruiting season starts early in the year, there may be available positions now.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say with your impressive list of qualifications you'd be able to apply to a wide range of jobs, from international schools to universities, as well as most of the colleges (CCQ, QAC,etc - no CNAQ unless you have a Canadian passport) and corporate jobs such as QP. Salary would probably be somewhere in the 13-16k+ QAR range, or even potentially a lot more, depending on where you got the job, and which position you managed to get.

Is there any particular reason you have your mind set on Qatar? I only ask because you didn't mention Middle East experience. Do you have any? If your 17 years teaching has been spent solely in the UK, or even solely outside of the ME, I'd like to offer a note of caution about teaching in Qatar: The students behaviour can be extremely challenging, and their motivation levels (due to the majority of Qataris being either fairly well-off, considerably wealthy, or just plain stinking rich) are often frustratingly low and hard to cultivate. This is across the board, not only in TEFL, but by all accounts in other fields of study too. Bear in mind, Qataris are officially the richest people on earth,and this is reflected in the work ethic of the students you will be teaching. The teaching is basically glorified babysitting, half the time. I can't say I find teaching in Qatar much fun at all, to be frank.

That's not to say all Qatari students are rotten, far from it, I've had lots of good Qatari students, but in comparison to other countries I've taught in (all over the world), they are without a doubt the most difficult students to teach.

Sorry for sounding overly negative, and if you want to save a decent amount of money quickly then Qatar, or Saudi, are two of the best places to teach in, but if you really want to teach then I'm sure there must be a lot of other options available for someone with your qualifications and experience.

Pm me if you need any advice about potential employers, or any more info about Qatar.
dash201

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bulgogiboy. It can be a weird and wonderful experience. Most of the kids lack independent skills completely. Levels are not what you'd hope for. Most kids have nannies and drivers. To sum it up:

Me: Why don't I ever see you in shopping centres or anything?

Kid: I send my driver. I give him the money. He goes to the shop. He calls me. I speak to the shop person and tell him what I want and the driver pays him and brings it back to me.

Me: Why don't you do anything for yourself?

Kid: I do. I count my money.
blastermill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Cost of living Reply with quote

Life here is more expensive than KSA or the UAE or Oman. Be prepared to pay more for everything. Food prices are soaring and a lot of people are struggling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: