Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL University Position full time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:

Anyway, back on topic.

It would be interesting to hear more about uni positions.

Agreed. To other readers, I'm sorry if there is any confusion between what I wrote and how kurtz replied. I originally wrote a longer post which discussed Thailand, Cambodia and a few others things. However, after hitting 'Submit' I decided that I was getting a bit too far off topic so I edited it.

In regards to dating, relationships with the opposite sex etc I think it's an interesting discussion so I'll start a new thread on it and see how it goes Smile.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:

the women

Plus 18 to 20 bucks an hour. Paradise my friend, paradise.

Hey man, give us an update on what's happening in paradise.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
He said there are TEFLing jobs everywhere! But he is holding out until September because he wants to teach adults not kids. Plus the women love him or so he told me.

I have lived an taught in Vietnam for 12+ years.

Jobs everywhere? Yes, there are jobs everywhere. Jobs you want? Different story.

Reality will set in after the honeymoon

"so your friend told you...." oh, boy...I remember those days. Landing will be hard.

Quote:
Plus 18 to 20 bucks an hour. Paradise my friend, paradise. Cool

Gross, before taxes.

Dual prices, visas, visa runs.

Paradise if you want to live in a small dark concrete box and drink on the small plastic stools where your knees hit your chest.

You've only been in VN for a couple of days......

I hope you post in a couple months and let us know how it goes....
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
sigmoid wrote:
Quote:
Paradise here I come!!! Well, according to Prof. Gringo it's paradise.

Why do you think VN is a "paradise"? As others have already mentioned, even those who "love" the place find it annoying and challenging on a daily basis.

What has the Prof. really told you?

He said there are TEFLing jobs everywhere! But he is holding out until September because he wants to teach adults not kids. Plus the women love him or so he told me.

Plus 18 to 20 bucks an hour. Paradise my friend, paradise. Cool

Yes, paradise it is...
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
kurtz wrote:

Anyway, back on topic.

Agreed. To other readers, I'm sorry if there is any confusion between what I wrote and how kurtz replied. I originally wrote a longer post which discussed Thailand, Cambodia and a few others things. However, after hitting 'Submit' I decided that I was getting a bit too far off topic so I edited it.

In regards to dating, relationships with the opposite sex etc I think it's an interesting discussion so I'll start a new thread on it and see how it goes Smile.

Waiting for that thread...
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kurtz"]
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
kurtz wrote:

Please stay out of Vietnam, there are enough sexpats and debauched characters as it is, we don't need any more amoral people like yourself.

Ohhhhhh Yes,I would love to hear more!

Maybe I have a nice job at a uni myself...
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
As others have already mentioned, even those who "love" the place find it annoying and challenging on a daily basis.

Truer words...

And even truer in the north! I hated it when I first arrived, but gradually things improved to where now I love it, but it remains quite a stressful place. How? Well, just ask me about any major aspect of life, such as food, water, air, money, transportation, weather, communication, etc., and I'll tell you. If I hadn't made such great friends there, I'd be out of there.
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
I expect various flotsam and debauched characters to be peddling TEFL for quite some time; this would not be the case so much if a 4-year degree and a CELTA would be the requirements; a pee test for cannabis and an HIV test might make things harder for some as well. Will the Vietnamese Govt. ever insist on such requirements?

Come on, let Vietnam retain its character, please. Professionals like you and I will always commend a premium so what are you worried about? (Oh wait, the grammar Nazis are here. I mean, about what are you worried?)

MOD EDIT
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
DNK wrote:

1.5-2 years for non-backpackers seems to be the norm ime.

Unless they find true love and one of those 18 to 20 bucks an hour jobs like Prof. Gringo is working on.

Thanks for posting prof. gringo's salary on a public forum. Now that we know what he is paid per hour, can you please tell us how many hours he works per month and what he is paid per month.
Does he do get paid for all his prep time too? Does he have office hours?
Is he freelance or a contract teacher? Does he ever splurge on imported coffee?
Please include his visa status and relationship status too.
If you know his personal email and phone number post that too so we can all get a piece of Paradise. Paradise.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
DNK wrote:

1.5-2 years for non-backpackers seems to be the norm ime.

Unless they find true love and one of those 18 to 20 bucks an hour jobs like Prof. Gringo is working on.

Thanks for posting prof. gringo's salary on a public forum. Now that we know what he is paid per hour, can you please tell us how many hours he works per month and what he is paid per month.
Does he do get paid for all his prep time too? Does he have office hours?
Is he freelance or a contract teacher? Does he ever splurge on imported coffee?
Please include his visa status and relationship status too.
If you know his personal email and phone number post that too so we can all get a piece of Paradise. Paradise.

I'm back in the states. Southern Indiana. Vietnam is for party people and backpacker TEFLer's. I'm going to stay here in the good old U S of A until I decide if I'm going to South Korea or Japan. Hopefully by spring. I'm sure Japan or South Korea will be better.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vietnam is for party people and backpacker TEFLer's.

Thanks for your analysis.

Sadly, this must mean we won't be receiving any more of your profound insight. I am sure those other countries look forward to your contribution. Goodbye.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: ESL University Position full time Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
[

I'll try and let you know if I'm not too busy. Heading to HCMC on Monday. Paradise here I come!!! Well, according to Prof. Gringo it's paradise. Cool

I guess you're too busy in Paradise. Paradise.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL University Position full time Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
[

I'll try and let you know if I'm not too busy. Heading to HCMC on Monday. Paradise here I come!!! Well, according to Prof. Gringo it's paradise. Cool

With all due respect to "EFL Educator," he made a lot of assumptions before actually going to a place, staying in a place, and living and working in a place/location.

Saigon is honestly - not a great spot to be if you are into teaching.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL University Position full time Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
[

Paradise is now Southern Indiana. HCMC works great for the non professional party types but for someone who is SERIOUS about TEFLing and has serious qualifications like I do, well let's just say HCMC is a joke.

I knew I should have went to Japan or South Korea like I had originally wanted to.
kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducater - How long did you actually last in Saigon? What was your job?

Considering that you're doing a PhD and have been in this game a long time, what's the reasoning behind using the past simple and not the past participle in your sentence:

"I knew I should have went to Japan or South Korea like I had originally wanted to"

Anyways, I'm always keen to learn new grammar off masters like yourself.

BTW, I think Korea will be a good fit for you.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: