Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferable training and experience

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MsBlackcurrant



Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Transferable training and experience Reply with quote

I appreciate that the CELTA and Trinity certificates are the best known, but I'm looking at other options as well. I already have some EFL teaching experience in Europe, as well as higher degrees that focus on European culture and languages. If I do a TEFL course in China and then get some more teaching experience there, will that be problematic if I want to teach elsewhere later on? Or do employers look at the totality of someone's CV and then make their decision?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thatsforsure



Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 119

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certificates is good if in some jobs but not to necesary for a lot , expecialy in china .. basically in other nations some of them might be needed but its hard to say because you didnt tell us much....you need to be more specific about your profesional asparations
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xie Lin



Joined: 21 Oct 2011
Posts: 305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatsforsure wrote:
certificates is good if in some jobs but not to necesary for a lot , expecialy in china .. basically in other nations some of them might be needed but its hard to say because you didnt tell us much....you need to be more specific about your profesional asparations


I trust (or at least hope) that this poster is having a bit of a laugh. Laughing

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tttompatz



Joined: 06 Mar 2010
Posts: 1951
Location: Talibon, Bohol, Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transferable training and experience Reply with quote

MsBlackcurrant wrote:
I appreciate that the CELTA and Trinity certificates are the best known, but I'm looking at other options as well. I already have some EFL teaching experience in Europe, as well as higher degrees that focus on European culture and languages. If I do a TEFL course in China and then get some more teaching experience there, will that be problematic if I want to teach elsewhere later on? Or do employers look at the totality of someone's CV and then make their decision?


It depends on where you are from (country of passport), whether you have an actual undergrad degree, post grad degree and how much experience you have.

In a large part of Asia a TEFL cert is NOT necessary for a job and is usually not needed for the (proper) visa (China being a notable exception).

In a large part of Asia an undergrad degree is an immigration requirement for a visa/permits (after 2015, in all of the ASEAN + 3).

In a large part of Asia, the employer does not care about your qualifications PROVIDED you meet the requirements for immigration.

IF you are not a native speaker then some countries are not possible.

If you are not a native speaker then some countries require you to have, in addition to your degree, a TOEIC or IELTS score.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MsBlackcurrant



Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm British by nationality and birth. I have an undergraduate degree and postgraduate degrees, and also a PGCE. I have some TEFL experience in Europe but there's been a gap, which is why I want a TEFL qualification of the standard length to get me started again.

China seems to be a good place to get current TEFL experience, and offers programmes where you can get a TEFL certificate as well as teaching work. In the long run, I'd like to be able to use my certificate in western Europe, which is why I'm asking if a Chinese certificate would be acceptable there.

The other possibility is for me to get a job in China just with my current qualifications, save up my earnings, and pay for a more expensive, more mainstream TEFL course in Europe later.

What's the best thing to do? Thanks for any advice!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shroob



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsBlackcurrant wrote:
I'm British by nationality and birth. I have an undergraduate degree and postgraduate degrees, and also a PGCE. I have some TEFL experience in Europe but there's been a gap, which is why I want a TEFL qualification of the standard length to get me started again.

China seems to be a good place to get current TEFL experience, and offers programmes where you can get a TEFL certificate as well as teaching work. In the long run, I'd like to be able to use my certificate in western Europe, which is why I'm asking if a Chinese certificate would be acceptable there.

The other possibility is for me to get a job in China just with my current qualifications, save up my earnings, and pay for a more expensive, more mainstream TEFL course in Europe later.

What's the best thing to do? Thanks for any advice!


If you've got a PGCE you're better qualified than any certificate you can get in China already. I'm a little surprised you're looking at TEFL certificates to be honest. International schools are the way to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MsBlackcurrant



Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
MsBlackcurrant wrote:
I'm British by nationality and birth. I have an undergraduate degree and postgraduate degrees, and also a PGCE. I have some TEFL experience in Europe but there's been a gap, which is why I want a TEFL qualification of the standard length to get me started again.

China seems to be a good place to get current TEFL experience, and offers programmes where you can get a TEFL certificate as well as teaching work. In the long run, I'd like to be able to use my certificate in western Europe, which is why I'm asking if a Chinese certificate would be acceptable there.

The other possibility is for me to get a job in China just with my current qualifications, save up my earnings, and pay for a more expensive, more mainstream TEFL course in Europe later.

What's the best thing to do? Thanks for any advice!


If you've got a PGCE you're better qualified than any certificate you can get in China already. I'm a little surprised you're looking at TEFL certificates to be honest. International schools are the way to go.


Thanks! The thing is, I want to teach adults. My long-term goal is to teach university students in Europe, which would enable me to put my research degrees to good use; I think my interest in culture and literature would work well with TEFL in a university environment. I realise that the pay won't be so good! I may also teach in the Middle East at some stage, where I could save rather more money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiral78



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 9300
Location: On a Short Leash

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked in European universities for over a decade, and we have partner universities (Erasmus) all over, so I've got contact with quite a few.

If this is your goal, I'd skip China. The standards there are perceived as very different to those in European universities. Student motivations and expectations are very different, English proficiency levels often lower (sometimes considerably) and the demands of the job simply too different to apply well in a European university. A cert from China won't enhance your CV, nor will experience teaching there, to any great extent.

For university work in Europe (openings are not generally abundant, by the way) the real basic standard these days is a related MA - a CELTA or equivalent helps, but it's a competitive market. The last few openings 'we' advertised attracted well over 25 outstanding applications, meaning related MA +++ up to Phd, and with publications.
That's not to say you won't find anything with less than related MA, but you won't likely be in the top tier of candidates for the better postions in the more desirable locations.

I'd say your best bet is to get a CELTA or equivalent in Europe, possibly in the city/country where you want to work. You'll likely have to go the private school route for a while, during which time you'll build up local contacts and a local rep, thus placing you in the pipeline when something does come open in a university.

Sure, you might get lucky and find something great right off the bat, but it's more likely you'll have to work your way in.

Good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterBar



Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 145
Location: La France profonde

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at International schools - you have QTS so you can work in mainstream schools.

The TES or THES International job adverts should be your Friday morning ritual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teacher Jack



Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Posts: 63
Location: China

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transferable training and experience Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:


In a large part of Asia a TEFL cert is NOT necessary for a job and is usually not needed for the (proper) visa (China being a notable exception).



I'm laughing here. I have a 4 year degree and a TEFL certificate. This year when it came time to renew my visa this year, I saw the papers my school had in their file. They didn't have a copy of either my degree or my TEFL certificate. What did they have? A Certificate of Appreciation I had submitted with my resume, degree, and TEFL certificate for a talk I gave at an English teaching conference in the Philippines. I'm assuming they were using the copy of it because it was more beautiful than the other two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC