Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Above average salaries in the ME
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Above average salaries in the ME Reply with quote

I've found a lot of info here on Dave's over the years and it seems like there are a few better than average employers that keep coming up in the posts for TEFL teachers. These places don't usually require PhDs or teaching licenses. Here's some of the employers that people like justcolleen, VS, NCTBA, Van Gogh, Gerund, tacomaboywa, cmp45, scot47, Gulezar, and Turbster, have mentioned.

Afghanistan
Dept of State. English Language Program Manager. 75K to 115K, 35% danger p�y, 35% hardship pay.

Egypt
AUC
Cairo American College in Cairo (American Curriculum)
NCBIS (British) in Cairo
Schutz

Iraq
UKH

Kuwait
GUST
UAC (http://www.uacq8.com)
TQLS

Oman
Mazoon
MCBS
Royal Navy Oman
Sultan Qaboos University
University of Nizwa

Qatar
Cornell
Georgetown
Houston Community College
Qatar University NCTBA
Qatar Petroleum
Texas A&M

Saudi
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=93605
direct hire with the unis provides the best situation free airfare, decent accomodation, health insurance, transport allowance, end of contract gratuity (1 month salary for each year worked or half a month's salary for each year worked until one finished five years - at which time it becomes a full month for each year worked), paid overtime, potential to teach evening contract work, own private/ semi private university office- with computer and internet. decent university facilities: gym, swimming pool etc., cafeteria. decent working hours (avg.22 contact hours), able to bring spouse and kids (provide for kids education) exit-re-entry visas. decent students with reasonable class sizes with technology.
ALS (Advanced Learning Schools)
Al-Faisal University: tacomaboywa
Aramco
Avco-Dallah
Booz Allen
British Areospace / BAe Systems
Institute of Public Administration
Institute of Banking and Finance
Jubail Industrial College
Lockheed
King Faisal University
King Abdulaziz University
King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
King Saud University
King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals; OK pay with great O/T opps, decent on-campus accom with all utilities covered, good students, sane work schedule, great vacations (17-18 wks PA), no problems with multi visa and, most of all, you get what you are promised.
Prince Sultan: cmp45
Raytheon
Saudi companies which are subcontractors to Aramco, the Saudi Oil company
Saudi electric company (all regions)
Teach Away iAcademic Director positions From $120,000 USD/year tax-free. Roundtrip airfare and annual flight home provided. Housing: Provided by employer. Vacation: 30 days, and all national holidays.

Yemen
YALI
YCMES

UAE
American University of Sharjah NCTBA
EIBFS
HCT (hopefully they'll recover)
Fatimah school of nursing
Khalifa: The pay is about what anybody might get in Abu Dhabi, but you can pocket any extra housing allowance. The health care is great ... prescriptions are covered 100% and there is even some dental coverage. But folks are not happy with the educational benefits for kids
Petroleum Institute
Zayed University
UAE Uni in Al Ain

There are also worldwide organisations such as
Bell
British Council
EF
Being an IELTS examiner
International House
Wall Street
Open English: teaching online

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 am; edited 5 times in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear naturegirl321,

Very nice, helpful post. Maybe this should be a "sticky?"

Just two comments about Saudi:1. In my experience, it's half a month's salary for each year worked until one finished five years - at which time it becomes a full month for each year worked. 2. Also, I can't see how this can be right:

" Teach Away iAcademic Director positions From $120,000 USD/year tax-free."

Since the Foreign Earned Income Tax Exclusion is $95,100 for 2012

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion---Requirements

Regards,
John
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it simply means not taxed in the country of source .. after all, not everyone is a US citizen ..

For example, if the earner were a UK citizen who was classed as non-resident in the UK for tax purposes, it would remain 'tax-free' ..
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear PC Parrot,

Well, Teach Away, a Canadian-based firm, recruits from the US, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Canadians apparently have to pay income tax on foreign-earned income:

"If you paid foreign taxes on foreign income you received, do not reduce the amount you report by the amount of tax the foreign country withheld. However, you may be able to claim a foreign tax credit when you calculate your federal and provincial or territorial taxes. "

Not sure about all the others.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/104/frgn-eng.html

Regards,
John
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Above average salaries in the ME Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear naturegirl321,

Very nice, helpful post. Maybe this should be a "sticky?"

Just two comments about Saudi:1. In my experience, it's half a month's salary for each year worked until one finished five years - at which time it becomes a full month for each year worked. 2. Also, I can't see how this can be right:

" Teach Away iAcademic Director positions From $120,000 USD/year tax-free."

Since the Foreign Earned Income Tax Exclusion is $95,100 for 2012

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion---Requirements

Regards,
John
Embarassed I love organising info! About Teach Away, that's from their site. It's correct. I think they mean that it's not taxes in Saudi, but you're responsible for taxes in your home country.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) has a form for Canadians to apply for non-residency for tax purposes. If granted, you don't have to pay tax on foreign income.

It is a very detailed questionnaire about where you are working and any ties (real estate, immediate family - hubby/kids/pets, etc, financial, etc.) you may have in Canada and they base the decision on that form's information.

That said, many Canadians don't apply for the non-resident status because Canada has no way of tracking their income in UAE. It's a topic of debate if that decision may come back to bite them if/when they return to Canada because Revenue Canada has the right to go back and demand information indefinitely and it's up to the tax payer to prove or disprove anything. Revenue Canada doesn't have to prove anything.
airapets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Don't forget everybody's favorite . . . Reply with quote

Saudi Aramco
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't forget everybody's favorite . . . Reply with quote

airapets wrote:
Saudi Aramco

Yep, it's up there. I have a friend who finally got an interview with them. He's excited as supposedly it's $9,000 a month.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear naturegirl321,

I think you may have meant $9,000 a month. I know I wouldn't get too excited about $9,000 a year. Very Happy

Regards,
John
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear naturegirl321,

I think you may have meant $9,000 a month. I know I wouldn't get too excited about $9,000 a year. Very Happy

Regards,
John

Ah, that I do!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that this is their total pay and benefits. From that you have to pay your own housing, tickets, medical insurance... and everything. Very different from the usual Gulf contract.

VS
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321,

Please remove Afghanistan and Iraq from your list, as you have clearly never lived or worked there, and recommending folk to go there to teach English is both misleading and dangerous.

I have lived and worked in both (having been born in that area) and speak Arabic and Pashto fluently so I have worked on many occasions with the UN Assistance Mission.

You say Afghanistan is 35% danger - make that nearer 95% danger.
Likewise Baghdad. Everyday, you are at risk.

You seem totally unaware that Afghanistan is riddled with starvation, disease and lack of medical treatment because of the crime, lawlessness, suicide attacks and roadside bombings. Afghanistan has the world's highest maternal and infant mortality rates.

How much is your health, safety, sanity and life worth in cash terms?
The American University of Afghanistan in Kabul currently offers salaries lower than in most Gulf countries, especially Saudi Arabia.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,
ARAMCO Direct Hire do pay huge amounts and provide accommodation etc. It is the skanky subcontractors that leave you to organise a sub-standrad inceure apartment ion the middle of nowhere - and pay you US$5500 !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past we had posters mention $7000 offers from recruiters. And those that I have heard of direct hires offered more than $9K+all usual benefits. This was for very experienced teachers.

My main point is to know what you are getting (or not getting) and be able to compare it with other offers.

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
naturegirl321,

Please remove Afghanistan and Iraq from your list, as you have clearly never lived or worked there, and recommending folk to go there to teach English is both misleading and dangerous.

I have lived and worked in both (having been born in that area) and speak Arabic and Pashto fluently so I have worked on many occasions with the UN Assistance Mission.

You say Afghanistan is 35% danger - make that nearer 95% danger.
Likewise Baghdad. Everyday, you are at risk.

You seem totally unaware that Afghanistan is riddled with starvation, disease and lack of medical treatment because of the crime, lawlessness, suicide attacks and roadside bombings. Afghanistan has the world's highest maternal and infant mortality rates.

How much is your health, safety, sanity and life worth in cash terms?
The American University of Afghanistan in Kabul currently offers salaries lower than in most Gulf countries, especially Saudi Arabia.

We're all adults and quite capable of making our own decisions based on our own, personal set of circumstances. This topic isn't about why someone would choose not to work in the countries listed. It's about salaries.

If you would like to start another thread about "health, safety, sanity and life," feel free to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: