Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cats and apartments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
No way would my cat be going outside, so that's something I wouldn't have to worry about.

Why would you want to imprison this animal within the confines of your apartment?
kah5217

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because she grew up as an indoor cat and that's what she's used to. I've had her on my porch before and all she does is run back inside.
ALX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good thing you're going to Japan and not China. You know what they do to cats in China?
timothypfox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALX said:
Quote:
You know what they do to cats in China?

Stay on topic ALX. Smile

Anyways, it depends on what you do with your cats in an apartment. I have 3 indoor cats, and I do allow 2 of them to run along the hallway in front of the main door as long as my wife or I supervise them. To keep them active and engaged in the apartment - we try to may play time for them or have fun carrying them around.

Cats can be happy indoors if you give them enough stimulation (entertainment).

It also depends on the size of the apartment. Mine is just big enough for 3, but ideally I want more space.... (always the crux of Japanese living conditions....)

Last edited by timothypfox on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total
ALX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
Stay on topic ALX.

Anyways, it depends on what you do with your cats in an apartment. I have 3 indoor cats, and I do allow 2 of them to run along the hallway in front of the main door as long as my wife or I supervise them. To keep them active and engaged in the apartment - we try to may play time for them or have fun carrying them around.

Cats can be happy indoors if you give them enough stimulation (entertainment).

It also depends on the size of the apartment. Mine is just big enough for 3, but ideally I want more space.... (always the crux of Japanese living conditions....)

I am staying on topic. And I'm not your student, either, buddy.
kah5217

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the real question would be if the apartments allowing cats and Americans are hard to find. Someone out there wants my key money, right?
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably find somewhere without key money.

I just did a quick search on this site, using some popular Tokyo locations. Google tells me that is says above each of the first few something along the lines of "For pet owners, an increase of one month deposit. Two small dogs or cats allowed."

http://www.chintai.net/tokyo/search/ensen/List.do?f=103112036&f=103112032&f=103109038&f=103109042&f=103109054&f=103111022&f=103111002&cf=0&ct=0&k=1&r=1&sf=0&st=0&b=1&b=2&b=3&h=&j=
timothypfox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALX wrote:
You know what they do to cats in China?
timothypfox wrote:
Stay on topic ALX.

ALX wrote:
I am staying on topic. And I'm not your student, either, buddy.

What I mean is - please don't go there! It's pretty awful to think about that. I'm not your buddy, so please carry on Jeeves...
kah5217

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten man a month, huh? That's not too bad, I guess. Typical New York rent.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
Ten man a month, huh? That's not too bad, I guess. Typical New York rent.

Remember those were for popular places in Tokyo. You should be able to find something for as little as half of that, depending on age, size and location.
kah5217

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly surprised at how age is taken into consideration over there. I've been living in buildings older than dirt for as long as I can remember.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
I'm honestly surprised at how age is taken into consideration over there. I've been living in buildings older than dirt for as long as I can remember.

Be careful. The older buildings are often less earthquake-proof. It doesn't necessarily mean they're unsafe, but from what I've been told the foundation technology and design regulations have come on a lot in the last 20 years.
Lyrajean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cat in Okinawa for 3 of my four years there. My situation was a little different than the OP's becuase I found her in Okinawa. I didn't bring her over.

At that time I was living in an older maybe 30yrs old apartment complex that did not allow pets, but once I got my cat no one ever complained or noticed her for 2 years. It was run by a leasing agency and there was no landlord on site. the cat was kept indoors. I had to pay for some scratches to the wood trim and replacement of window screens on leaving.

A bad allergic reaction to some dani asu I sprayed forced me to move at the beginning of my 4th year. Not knowing what situation I would walk into with regard to the cat I looked for a pets okay place. that turned about 100 available listings in my area down to 5 or 6. The buildings wre either old or brand new and expensive. Many were in inconvenient locations. Some agencies didn't even deal in pets ok apartments.

I also had to look for a tatami free place after my allergy experience...

I got lucky and scored a brand new 1LDK less than 1 year old the day it became open. My rent went from 37,000yen for a real tiny 1DK to 50,000 plus parking for the big 1LDK. Also my deposits etc.. went from 160000 to 280000. Including an extra month rent in security for the cat. Also had to provide a picture of the approved pet to the leasing comany it was a national chain with lots of brand new buildings. I forget the name... Begis with "dai..." somthing, big red logo. The place was beautiful and convenient, but had been designed with dogs in mind not cats. All the walls were covered in fine tissue like wallpaper that Aya-chan took in her mind to demolish for me. She also destroyed the screens again... I lost 70,000 of my 150,000 security to that. they did return the rest of my deposit promptly on moving out however. The built in dog-washing station came in ahndy when A typhoon cut off the power and therefore water to the 3rd floor.
kah5217

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would make any difference if the landlord/realtor knew the cat was coming from America, or should I play the "I haven't bought it yet" game?
Lyrajean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
Do you think it would make any difference if the landlord/realtor knew the cat was coming from America, or should I play the "I haven't bought it yet" game?

Hmmm... not sure. It might be a good idea. but you might have some realtors trying to convince you to give up on the cat idea...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: