Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Schools to be Restricted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Foreign Schools to be Restricted Reply with quote

Hi. This article pretty much gives the game away of what's been going on for a while now. Now it looks like they are not even bothering to come up with an excuse. Being 'foreign" is a good enough excuse. Bring your microphone and amplifier to your classes. What will this mean for the last remaining "foreign " schools? Think of the new buildings, who will get those? and the business identities that they worked so hard to build up ? will they continue to run under completely different local ownership?
http://m.english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/education/49434/foreign-schools-to-be-restricted.html06/10/2012 08:20:00 (GMT+7)
Foreign schools to be restricted
VietNamNet Bridge � Foreign-invested schools will be restricted in the number of Vietnamese students they can enrol, under a new law to take effect next month.

The new Government decree limits local students at foreign-invested schools to a maximum of 20 per cent. Decree No. 73 on regulating foreign educational institutions will take effect in the middle of next month.

According to the Ministry of Education and Training, the new decree was necessary to update regulations and improve management of co-operative activities in education by the State. It also followed a number of violations at foreign-invested institutions.

The new decree defines the types and criteria for educational affiliation programs and foreign-invested educational institutions.

Specifically, affiliation programs that are five years in length must include content developed by both sides, that being the Vietnamese institutions and their foreign. These programs can issue Vietnamese or foreign degrees.

However, the quality of all these programs must be appraised or verified by relevant foreign agencies.

Regarding foreign-invested educational institutions which have a licence to operate for a maximum of fifty years, these will include training courses offering short courses, kindergartens, primary, secondary and high schools, vocational training centres and higher-education institutes.

In case these institutions wish to extend the duration of their operations, they have to get Government approval, but their extension can not exceed 20 years.

In contrast to the current regulation, this decree regulates that foreign-invested kindergartens with foreign programs are only for foreign children. Vietnamese children under five years of age are banned from foreign educational programs.

Meanwhile, foreign-invested schools at primary and secondary levels are allowed to recruit Vietnamese students, but no more than 10 per cent of the total number of students and at high schools this maximum is at 20 per cent. These schools contain foreign educational programs and issue foreign licenses.

The tougher restrictions make it more difficult for foreign-invested schools to make a profit.

The regulation signed by Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung follow violations by some institutions in Viet Nam that were operating in co-operation with foreign partners.

The Ministry of Education and Training found in June that seven educational institutions in co-operation with Australian and French schools were illegally offering courses or granting degrees without authorisation. Earlier, the ERC Institute Viet Nam, Raffles International College and ILA Viet Nam were ordered to cease operations due to educational violations.

Also according to a recent report by the Government Inspectorate, it was found that nearly 120 education affiliation programs with 94 foreign partners at 18 domestic universities were offering courses that violated content rules related to courses and quality of foreign institutions.

Thousands of students have been affected by these violations.

The new decree also regulates some other criteria related to capital, rankings, rights and tasks of foreign institutions who want to co-operate in the education sector in Viet Nam.

VietNamNet/VNS
inhanoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't refer to language centers, only to schools that enroll students full time. In part, we have Raffles and ILA to thank for this. They were breaking the law.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned on another thread regarding regulations, it's simply the economy. Increasing regulations is way to increase govt revenue, and not just in VN.
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure that's true. Just looking through the document now, it has a definition of terms at the start, including:

Quote:
cơ sở đ�o tạo, bồi dưỡng ngắn hạn l� trung t�m đ�o tạo, bồi dưỡng kiến thức ngoại ngữ, tin học,.....

Centre = 'Trung Tam'. 'Đ�o Tạo' means studies in general, or training. For example Department of Studies = 'Ph�ng Đ�o Tạo', as opposed to 'học' which is more about the activity of studying and learning. 'Ngoại Ngữ' means foreign language(s). The particle 'ngữ' is about language, for example many English Centres are called 'Trung T�m Anh Ngữ'. 'Ngắn hạn' means short term or for a short period. 'Bồi dưỡng' means to improve or to bolster.

My loose, figurative translation of the above definition would be something along the lines of:

"Training establishments, which provide short term courses are defined as training Centres that improve one's knowledge of foreign Languages, computer studies,.........."

I can't tell 100% for sure if this definition includes language centres or not. I'd be interested whether a VN native would say it does or doesn't and then of course if it's open to interpretation then it comes down to localities and individuals and which tway the wind is blowing and how many pieces of paper happen to be in the fold of a document.

That newspaper article is horribly written to my eye and I can't tell exactly what it means on a number of points.

One thing that stands out to me is that Vietnamese pupils aged below 5 are banned from studying foreign curriculum. Does this mean the end of Kitty/Kindy classes?

A further important point is the idea of a VN and Foreign side co-operating to form a curriculum and then having it somehow authorised by a foreign entity. How the hell is that going to happen? Where is the middle between western values of education and the stuff-them-full-of-it 16hours a day memorisation by rote that exists here??
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a section on teachers:

Forgive my attempt at translation, feel free to correct me:

Article 10: Teachers (Đội ngũ Nh� Gi�o)

3. Teachers or professors teaching in joint study programs who are foreign must have at least 5 years experience in the field of study.

4. Teachers or professors teaching in a foreign language must have abilities in that language according to the requirements of the course, but not less than C1 on the CEF(R).

C1 is about IELTS 7+

Article 12: Program of Study, Scale of Study, Language of Tuition

3. The language used for teaching the subjects in joint study programs which provide foreign qualifications is to be a a foreign language, not teaching in Vietnamese or with translation into Vietnamese. Translation into Vietnamese is acceptable for study programs that will provide Vietnamese qualifications.

Article 13: Candidates for Admissions

4. Foreign Language Ability:

a) Undergraduate / Masters / PhD students should have minimum B2. (IELTS 5)

b) Vocational Schools / Colleges should have minimum B1. (IELTS 4).

Anyway, what I've written above probably has various caveats that I didn't notice when skimming through and it is 55 pages long! Not least, what makes up a joint venture / joint study program between foreign and Vietnamese entities.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get off the subject, but yeah, how does one ever know what a rule/law really means?

Take a look at these:

On the ACB scandal -

Kien was seized for alleged fraud and economic mismanagement�

On new rules for officials -

Party officials in Hanoi are no longer allowed to hold their weddings at luxurious venues�

�.guide officials toward �a civilized lifestyle for weddings, funerals and festivals�

The first one is my favorite. Fraud, yeah, that is definable and clear (at least in some systems it is clear), however, if you nailed every bank executive in VN who was in on fraud, I wonder how many you would have left? Okay, but then �economic mismanagement�, boy that is sooooo indefinable from a legal context. And even better, if you nail everyone who is involved in mismanagement here, guess how many you are going to have left to go to the weddings?

So then, speaking of the weddings, what is luxurious? In some countries, having toilet paper to use as a napkin is a luxury, right? Yet does that toilet paper in the little plastic thingy not prove that it is indeed civilized? What a conundrum for these poor officials!

I love these kinds of regulations.
deadlift

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:

I love these kinds of regulations.

My favourite is "causing serious consequences". I see it a lot in the English language news media here, in all sorts of contexts from "driving dangerously causing serious consequences" to the ACB honchos' charges of "deliberate violations of State regulations on economic management causing serious consequences".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: