Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-EFL related MA - any use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Non-EFL related MA - any use? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm about to take a CELTA course in the UK and look for work internationally. From browsing the forums I have the impression that most people are saying the work and career situation is not that great, earning potential limited, and career development problematic.

However, given the employment situation in the UK it is difficult to get even a minimum-wage job. I have been self-employed as a holistic therapy practitioner for a few years, supplemented by part-time retail work when available, and I'm looking for a change. Staying in the UK would probably involve aspiring to work in a supermarket if I was lucky. So my reasoning is that I have the fortunate advantage of the colonial legacy of the English language that I can use to at least have an interesting life and see some of the world. I have done a bit of work experience classroom assisting, so I know I enjoy interacting with students.

My projected plan at the moment would be to spend a couple of years teaching with the CELTA and then do a higher qualification or try and get in with the British Council somewhere interesting like Ethiopia or Nepal. Is this realistic? I don't spend much money (I can cook, I don't drink or smoke, etc.) and I have enough capital to come home and do something like a DELTA course later on.

My second question is about my academic qualifications. I have a BA in Philosophy and an MA in Social and Political Thought. Obviously I am aware that these do not qualify me in the slightest to be a good teacher, but is it possible I could use the qualifications along with the CELTA to get a better job to start with? What countries, if any, would be good places for this? (By the way, I have searched the jobs forum with the search terms 'masters', 'MA' and 'higher degree' and not found an answer).

Apologies for the length of the post, and thanks for your help.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer 1: Yes, it's fairly realistic.
Answer 2: Having a degree as well as your CELTA means first base for a range of jobs; people without a degree struggle to get a reasonable job, certainly a first job. Having a masters degree will probably not have any official effect on work, i.e. no increments, but some employers will be impressed so it may mean a slight edge over people without one. Unlike technical disciplines, I don't see your subjects as opening new doors to be brutally honest, but some of the materials would make great conversational topics (suitably adapted for the layman).
MichaelH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's helpful.

I never really saw teaching my MA subject as a realistic prospect, but, as you say, it might sound impressive to some people.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelH wrote:
I never really saw teaching my MA subject as a realistic prospect, but, as you say, it might sound impressive to some people.

On the other hand, more often than not, employers outside your home country will have little to no understanding about certain degree majors (no matter how well the program is explained) and will tend to ignore such credentials.
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teach in china at a joint us/china joint venture university program .. they honor the masters and you might get to teach a subject area and /or ESL .. they pay better and have better conditions ..
MichaelH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatsforsure, do you have any links for those programs? Thanks.
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl listed them once or twice ... missouri state in dalian, fort hays state in xi'an, xi'an jiaotong liverpool in suzhou are a few
MichaelH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll have a rummage for those.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster tttompatz often posts lengthy descriptions about what various qualifications will get you in various countries. Do a search on his/her name.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that instead of asking which country(ies) match your current qualifications, you say what country(ies) or region(s) of the world interest you, and let the answers come in as to whether your plan is feasible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: