Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I've decided to move to Istanbul...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabrda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: So I've decided to move to Istanbul... Reply with quote

And I have about a billion questions! :-p

While I haven't looked at every single post in the last 18 months, I have spent several hours going through the Turkish forums, and still haven't found very much of what I'm looking for Sad. I'm kind of hoping to gather a bunch of these answers and put them in a "go-to" post so all the key information is in one place to save time for newbies. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

What website(s) should I use to find a place to live (a room to rent)? Any advice on the parts of town to live in?

Are there any Expats in Istanbul type websites, with forums or information and events for English speaking expats?

Where is a good place to get a Turkish cellphone?

What's the deal with public transportation? Is there a long-term pass or card one can buy to reduce costs?
misskismet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Craigslist Istanbul or Couch Surfing to find a room to rent. Where you want to live depends on where you'll work. Or vice versa. A lot of teachers live in Kadikoy and then another lot in Taksim. However, there are many other nice and cheaper places.

There are facebook groups and couchsurfing groups and the Sublime Portal forum as well as others I'm not familiar with.

Get a phone from any phone shop. Phones are expensive here.

Get an Istanbul Card for public transport. If you get a "proper" teaching job at a school or university, you can get a discount card. Otherwise, not, although I do believe there are monthly passes. Hope that helps.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two other good information web sites worth mentioning are http://www.turkeycentral.com/. (you can also look or post for a room/apt. on them) and mymerhaba.com

Basic black dial in/dial out/text phone is about 150TL plus SIM card and activation. Providers are pretty much TURKCELL and VODAPHONE. They both offer multiple calling plans and fancier models are pricey! It is a good idea to bring a Turkish speaker/local friend with you, especially if you need a phone right away and go to an official company store. You will need a residents permit to register a new phone here, although your current phone will work for a short time before it is locked out.

There are discount transport cards for all public transport available (buses & subway) which will save you a bunch if you use them daily.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another informative Istanbul related forum is Yabangee.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: