Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moscow! Moscow!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Moscow! Moscow! Reply with quote

Greetings fellow citizen-teachers!

I thought it might be interesting for us to write what we enjoy about living in Moscow. Could be of use for other teachers contemplating the move. Naturally, the focus should be on the positives. Plenty of other info about the less enjoyable aspects of life here.

As easily gleaned from other posts, I like the inexpensive access to high culture. Concerts, paintings, literature etc. So much of it, so available. More mundane, perhaps, but I still get a kick out of 24-hour hot water for practically nothing. The learners are for the most part very satisfying to teach.

Anyone else got some joy that they'd like to share?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SxXp5momOg&feature=related

Last edited by Sashadroogie on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foma87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Georgian food is much better than Russian food IMO and cheap; in fact, I've come to really like it
- Job opportunities abound
- Cultural life is not bad as Sasha suggested / also a historical city
- Parks are awesome and numerous; in the summer the BBQ and beer culture comes alive
- Women are attractive; male-female ratio in bars/clubs usually advantageous
- Lawlessness; there's always a quick fix for the right price; working illegally-not a problem (though not recommended long-term)
- Metro is very efficient, though not very comfortable
- Caviar and vodka
- multicultural and multiplicity of lifestyles (if that makes any sense)
- Cheap, inclusive educational opportunities; Russian classes, masters programs, anyone?

Am I missing anything?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty good. Anybody else with more?
Grenouille

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good things about living in Moscow? Easy:

- yes, unlimited hot water supply is top of the list.
- cheap internet with decent speed.
- downloading films and music without fear of prosecution.
- never knowing what you're going to see every time you leave your building.
- kiosks everywhere - no need to find a shopping centre with a supermarket when you just need a couple of things, it's available right there on the street.
- cheap and good vodka.
- Russian people - when they become your friends they will be your friends forever and let you into their lives unconditionally.
- cheap mobile phone tarifs.
- beautiful architecture.
- proximity to other large cities/towns for a weekend away (quick train ride is all you need).
- winter heating in buildings.
- being able to wear fur coats (or even just a fur collar on your coat) without being afraid of animal rights activists attacking you.
- Russian students - they are intelligent, educated, interested and very interesting people (generally).
- metro dogs - so cute, especially in spring when the puppies are born.
- babushkas - yes they are strong and aggressive women, but imagine what they've experienced in their lives and they're still around making a nuisance of themselves (or just spying on everyone in the neighbourhood).

There's more, a lot more, but I'll limit it to that for now.
Very Happy
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"- downloading films and music without fear of prosecution. "
So in your home country, do you do this on the sly or not at all?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great list, Grenouille. Thanks for that. And spot on about the downloads! To think I used to spend two to three euro on pirate DVDs when first I came here!!! Shocking, when I think back... Very Happy
Grenouille

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
"- downloading films and music without fear of prosecution. "
So in your home country, do you do this on the sly or not at all?

In my home country I didn't do it at all.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't either, mainly because I didn't know how. So there's another reason to enjoy living here: hackers! Moscow has the best computer chaps on the planet for getting anything you want a computer to do to do it.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
I didn't either, mainly because I didn't know how. So there's another reason to enjoy living here: hackers! Moscow has the best computer chaps on the planet for getting anything you want a computer to do to do it.

I didn't know how either, before I came here. It was a student of mine who taught me all about torrents over a coffee after a lesson one evening a few months after I first arrived here.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, get out of the habit when you return to the UK. People are getting fined for it (leaving aside the moral issues).

Which reminds me of the subject of bribery. It is now against the law in England and Wales to bribe people in foreign countries. In other words, Brits can be prosecuted for their actions in Russia, even if it has no direct bearing on the UK. (Sorry this is a bit country-specific, but I try to speak about what I know. Scottish citizens, Americans, Aussies etc need to find out what's what).
Avogadro's Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they prove you paid a bribe in Russia?

Piracy is everywhere here. Even in the big electronic stores you can find games and movies, which are clearly unlicensed. Few Russians have licensed versions of Windows. And my students openly talk about downloading music, movies and computer games for free. Apparently, there is an application on vkontakte.ru dedicated to free music and video downloads.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure it's illegal here. Russia/USSR never signed up for international copyright agreements - at least that is what my students tell me and I believe them, by blind choice : )
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you look the subject up in Wikipedia, you will find that copyright here does exist (look up 'Copyright law of the Russian Federation'), although there are all sorts of complications relating to which countries are signatories to which conventions.

As for your students telling you that copyright laws don't exist, I would make two points. One, people who are doing wrong are likely to mislead or at best to be inaccurate. Two, Russia is a country where lots of people talk through their hats. I.e. many of them talk confidently sans reading, sans research, sans everything. To be generous to your students, I would say that they conflate commonly accepted norms with what is actually legal.

As I said, one of my colleagues was amazed to find that downloading British books for nothing was illegal.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Cole, you're no fun at all... Next you'll be saying that I shouldn't have my X-Box chipped to play pirate games!!! Very Happy
Grenouille

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
Well, get out of the habit when you return to the UK. People are getting fined for it (leaving aside the moral issues).

Just for the record, I'm not from the UK (if this was directed at me), but I'm certainly not planning to go home to my native country in the forseeable future (for the reasons listed above Very Happy ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: