Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moscow! Moscow!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say you were from the UK and no, it was not aimed at any individual person. I think it is just worthwhile for native speakers to think before taking a Russian habit home!

My citing the law in my own country is merely because I prefer to talk about things I know about. (The UK actually has more than one law. England and Wales comprises one legal system, Scotland another. And I haven't a clue about Northern Ireland!).

And don't get me going on Common Law and Statute..
Grenouille

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
I didn't say you were from the UK and no, it was not aimed at any individual person. I think it is just worthwhile for native speakers to think before taking a Russian habit home!

I agree with you there ! In fact, there are many Russian habits that will have to be 'unlearned' before leaving Russia !
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving Russia? What on Earth! Heavens forbid!!
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with habitual inaccuracy and misinformation, I'm sure. This very morning, I got a taxi to the administrative capital of the oblast because we had definitely got our educational licence (don't ask). By the time I reached the august institution, 'definitely' had become 'maybe', morphing to 'not yet, definitely within the next 48 hours'. Rolling Eyes
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, Cole, as much as I sympathise with you, this thread is about all the GOOD things in Moscow - thank you!
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah humbug. As Scrooge used to say before he sold out to the capitalist roaders (or have I got that the wrong way round).
Grenouille

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Leaving Russia? What on Earth! Heavens forbid!!

Not even thinking about it Very Happy
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Glad to hear it. I also hear tell that there are ferocious withdrawal symptoms to be suffered were one to try to leave. Worse than the DT's, apparently. Definitely not worth the risk.

Another plus to living here is the availability of very low-cost Melodia CDs in most music shops. About 150 to 200 rubles. Can even get them delivered to your door-step. Weird and wonderful experimental works, to the great classics. Ah!

http://melody.su/
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelmeni wherever you go. Can say 'get em off' to anybody; nobody turns a hair (or takes their clothes off). Intimate bus rides. Cheap vodka, some of which will leave you with your sight. (Yes, am in dyspeptic mood today.)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon Cole. Perhaps you need to visit the capital to recharge your soul?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plus - reading Boris Akunin detective novels and being able to trace mentally Fandorin's path as he chases villains through the streets of Moscow.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can sing dodgy songs in church and get publicity quicker than you can say Dostoevsky.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Especially on the BBC...
melissadawn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I sometimes feel like the only American woman on the planet living in Moscow. That said, I'll agree with the part about piracy. I don't think I could live in Russia without this rather modern technology (my teaching AND intellectual life are both completely dependent on it), and it's nice that I can keep on doing it. Beside that...
1. Gruff babushkas, weird things for sale, always something interesting to look at
2. The metro kills me with its millions of people, but yes, it's beautiful
3. Love the old bulvars- nice places to stroll with your honey as you while away an evening
4. Since I can't understand everything I very rarely get appalled or annoyed, and I even curse at people in English without reprisal
5. It's warm inside in winter. Waren't that way back in L.A., where the streets were warm but I was cold inside
6. Interesting looking people. Very atmospheric bunch.
7. I guess the snow and leaves are ok for a few weeks
8. It's edgy here, that's for sure. And things are so expensive that I'm not tempted to blow my money on silly things like shoes and clothes.
9. All those big severe looking buildings look very important somehow.
10. Barrettes, chocolates, loofahs and underwear for sale in the underpasses. My husband finds it irritating, I think it's funny.
teacher X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not spam the forum with thousands of question threads, so I thought that I would add some questions to this lovely one.

Having taught ESL in a few countries over the past 4 years (tokyo, shanghai and berlin) I have a little checklist of things and places I want to find when I move somewhere.

1. Anyone know if there is an open art scene in Moscow? In Berlin there would be frequent open gallery exhibitions by shit artists wanting to display their crap. Being an artist myself, I'd like to get involved in such a scene.

2. Any cool bars? By which I mean, alternative artsy bars where you get old soviet animations projected on the walls and music by bands like Театр Яда. If any of you lived in Shanghai, I would compare it to places like Dada, Anar and to a lesser extent Logo (before it was closed down)
My examples are obviously stupidly specific, but it gives you an idea of what I'm thinking of.

3. Great places for live gigs.

4. Any good schools for learning Russian? I'm thinking of taking 2 or 3 classes per week. Rosetta Stone can only take you so far.

5. Any art stores which sell reasonably priced materials.

I know my questions will be difficult to answer for most people. I'm just asking on the off chance that someone may have similar interests.
I do have a born and bred Moscow friend, but she is useless and I suspect that expats have a far greater knowledge of Moscow than she does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: