Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the chances?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: What are the chances? Reply with quote

I'm seriously looking at heading over to Vietnam and would like to get some information.

The back story: currently finishing my second contract in Korea with Epik at the end of February. I'm a 23 year old Irish male with a B.A and and an online tefl cert (I do understand it's worthless out side Korea).

I'd really like to try and start in Saigon as I have some friends there. I do understand it's harder to get work there due to it's popularity. Would I be better to look somewhere else like Hanoi, is it easier to find work there?

From what I've seen most places want a Celta (or equivalent), I'm a little wary of splashing out for one because after just 2 years in Korean Elementary PS (which really isn't teaching) I'm not sure how long I will stay teaching Esl, or if it's for me. Preferably I'd like to start working in Vietnam and see if it's for me and then pursue a Celta to obtain a better position. How possible (or easy) is it to find a job in Vietnam without a Celta?

I know these questions have been asked many times in the past, but I also understand that the situation there is always changing. Any input would be gtreatly appreciated.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the chances? Reply with quote

fred23 wrote:
I'm seriously looking at heading over to Vietnam and would like to get some information.

The back story: currently finishing my second contract in Korea with Epik at the end of February. I'm a 23 year old Irish male with a B.A and and an online tefl cert (I do understand it's worthless out side Korea).

I'd really like to try and start in Saigon as I have some friends there. I do understand it's harder to get work there due to it's popularity. Would I be better to look somewhere else like Hanoi, is it easier to find work there?

From what I've seen most places want a Celta (or equivalent), I'm a little wary of splashing out for one because after just 2 years in Korean Elementary PS (which really isn't teaching) I'm not sure how long I will stay teaching Esl, or if it's for me. Preferably I'd like to start working in Vietnam and see if it's for me and then pursue a Celta to obtain a better position. How possible (or easy) is it to find a job in Vietnam without a Celta?

I know these questions have been asked many times in the past, but I also understand that the situation there is always changing. Any input would be gtreatly appreciated.

Seems pretty easy to get a job here in HCMC. There are many of those backpacker types and those with no degrees and just come here to party and they seem to get jobs. Whether they can keep them is another story. Standards seem pretty low in HCMC. A lot of potheads and heavy beer drinkers seem to be around. Stick with SK or give Japan a try. Probably more professional since one HAS to have a degree.
fred23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I know I should stay in Korea if money is my goal. Tbh I've had my fill of Korea and it's culture and I'm looking to experience something different now. I've managed to save some money (not much) here so I won't be arriving here in a "sink or swim" situation. Basically, I'd like to figure out if ESL is for me and Vietnam sounds more exciting than Korea.

The way I'm looking at it Korea and China will (hopefully) still be there if this doesn't work. I figure the main positive of ESL teaching is mobility, you can experience quite a few different countries.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred23 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I know I should stay in Korea if money is my goal. Tbh I've had my fill of Korea and it's culture and I'm looking to experience something different now. I've managed to save some money (not much) here so I won't be arriving here in a "sink or swim" situation. Basically, I'd like to figure out if ESL is for me and Vietnam sounds more exciting than Korea.

The way I'm looking at it Korea and China will (hopefully) still be there if this doesn't work. I figure the main positive of ESL teaching is mobility, you can experience quite a few different countries.

Good luck with your new adventure my friend. And be careful of the potheads. You don't want to turn into one of them. They will have nothing when they get older in terms of any kind of savings.

Stay away from them and you should do fine.
fred23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the optimism.

So on to the important stuff. What do I need to bring with me?

I will be visiting home for a few weeks before I arrive so I can pick up some things I may need. So far I'll be brining:

1. My degree. Do I need to have it apostilled or authenticated or whatever? Can I just bring it as it is?
2. Some copies of my transcripts.
3. Police check- will apply before I return home and pick it up then.
4. A letter from Epik to prove I was employed by them for the last 2 years

What else might I need? What is the situation with apostilling/authenticating etc (I remember this was a pain in Korea)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: