Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Part time means a new visa?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Part time means a new visa? Reply with quote

Long story short: My pretty-good-to-work-for-but-small eikaiwa chain was bought by a bigger company who seem to be planning to turn it into a typical over worked/ low pay ESL job this spring.

My class load is enough that I could go part time and not lose much beyond the daily seat warming. But looking into it my coworker claimed I'd have to turn in my current ESL chimp work visa.

So I've been checking the interwebs to see if this is true (ESL: Full of lies) and if there are any other negatives to the idea.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Last edited by TWG on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
kah5217

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that once you get the visa in Japan, it's yours. Korea I believe is the one where employers can revoke your visa.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa is yours until it expires.

However, if you are only working part-time, then the original deal that immigration saw when they approved it has changed. You might want to phone immigration and ask what you should do. If they are willing to accept the change in hours as long as your pay is above a certain level, there may be nothing to do. You might even get by with "self-sponsorship", which means having more than one PT employer (but I think one of them still has to serve as a guarantor).

Then again, you might also just want to keep quiet about the whole thing until it's time for visa renewal, and plead ignorance.
TWG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's my understanding that once you get the visa in Japan, it's yours

That was mine as well.

Quote:
However, if you are only working part-time, then the original deal that immigration saw when they approved it has changed. You might want to phone immigration and ask what you should do.

I am worried about that. And I don't know if its just Miyazaki immi, but my few questions for them over the years have only resulted in answers that can best best summed up as, "Dunno. Maybe. Maybe not. Try it and tell me how it goes."

Which makes me miss the purity of Koreas "Depends on your bribe" approach.

I'll just play it by ear. Thanks for the thoughts.
Apsara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed jobs mid-visa 3 times including to part time work (still had a full time salary at renewal time though) and Immigration has never blinked an eye, let alone asked me why I didn't inform them that I had changed.

I wouldn't tell them to be honest- they'd probably wonder what to do with you if you did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: