Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good, safe, and cheap hotel or hostel on arrival?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drewteacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Good, safe, and cheap hotel or hostel on arrival? Reply with quote

It would be great to get some recommendations for good (clean), safe, and cheap hostels or hotels in Mexico City where new arrivals can stay until we're on our feet. I know Mexico City is a big place, so maybe even a recommendation on the most central area to stay while job hunting? Suggestions?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two hotels I like that are reasonably priced, centrally located and decent enough for a short stay are Hotel Oxford near the monument to the Revolucion and Hotel Canada in the centro historico.

Oxford - 5566-0500, dialed locally. They don't take reservations but I've never seen them not have a room.

Canada - 5518-2106. I'm pretty sure they do reservations. http://www.hotelcanada.com.mx/

There are plenty of other options though. I think you'll find private rooms at hostels to be the same price as regular hotels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drewteacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! The Hotel Canada is showing $450 per PAX (person?) in a single room.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, looks like their rates have gone up. 550 for 2 people it seems (how many are you?)

Oxford will be something around 200 or 250 pesos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drewteacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew... well one thing is good, they're talking about pesos, right?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, pesos. Whenever you see MN (moneda nacional), that will mean pesos. E.g. $450 m.n.

In and around the Monumento de la Revolucion you'll find plenty of cheap and clean hotels if you arrive to the area without a booking.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also some hostels that have basic, private rooms, if your budget is lower than the places Guy mentioned. That area has really gotten a makeover since you arrived in Mexico, Guy, with the prices going up accordingly. If you are interested in staying in a hostel, let me know and I will give you some recommendations. Also, there is a very nice hotel further away from downtown, but very accessible to public transport that is near my house, and is $20 a night, it is not really close to anything in terms of touristy stuff, but everything will be cheaper for you in an area like that, since you won�t be paying tourist prices. I had a friend visit recently from Costa Rica who stayed there about a week and really liked it. Marble floors, tile bath, filtered water, free Wi FI, if it were downtown it would be $500 pesos a night.
bexarwithme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link. I have no direct experience with it but got it from someone that posts here. Good monthly rates.

http://www.hostalvirreyes.com.mx/navegarIng/index_hostal.html
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virreyes is in a very loud part of the city, but good as a transport hub. One problem I've seen with them is that there is always a waiting list for their monthly rentals, usually a dozen people deep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: