Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Is Interac So Keen To Hire New Teachers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the fun begins!

Your passport should never be out of your possession. It is not even your property. It belongs to your government.

Is this SOP for Interac, folks? Best of luck.

As for legal rights, are they saying you will be penalized? It sounds like you were given 2 days to take for this. You should be allowed to take them, but of course, since you aren't working yet, you are on free time and will not miss anything, right?
Kionon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Your passport should never be out of your possession. It is not even your property. It belongs to your government.

Yes, as I said, EFL 101.

I've already told them no. I'm guessing you're saying this for other readers, because as we've established, I've been here for a few years, and in Korea before that. I will never let my passport out of my possession. I was amazed I was even asked.

Quote:
Is this SOP for Interac, folks? Best of luck.

Dunno. Could have been a genuine offer. Might even have been a genuine and sincere offer. Doesn't matter. See above.

Quote:
As for legal rights, are they saying you will be penalized? It sounds like you were given 2 days to take for this. You should be allowed to take them, but of course, since you aren't working yet, you are on free time and will not miss anything, right?

I was never told anything about two days, that is what the other poster said. I was told that if the school lets me leave early, that's fine. If they don't, something else will be figured out. Otherwise, if I took a day off to do it, it would cut into my legally mandated paid holiday. This seems to me to be illegal. Seems like an absolute requirement that there be a process in place for this.

Uhm. I have a visa already. I've had several so far with no break in residency. This is a status of residence change from Humanities to Instructor. I most certainly have been working, immigration is well aware I've been working, and they gave me a quick turn around. I only filed the paperwork last week, and they've already approved the change. There was no hint from immigration that I was doing anything illegal. So yeah, I will "miss" work to go pick up my new stamp.
Tsian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, I think going to get your visa renewed (much like going to the doctor, or the bank) is "personal business," and so it is reasonable (if a little shitty) to have to take leave in order to process your paperwork.

If Interac has certified paralegals which will act as your legal proxy, and will give proof of having taken possession of your passport, then it may not be that horrible an option.
Kionon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsian wrote:
Ultimately, I think going to get your visa renewed (much like going to the doctor, or the bank) is "personal business," and so it is reasonable (if a little shitty) to have to take leave in order to process your paperwork.

Okay, I wanted to make sure that was really the case, because my contract stipulates that both parties will do everything in their power to keep the visa current/correct. I work all day from before immigration opens until after immigration closes.

Quote:
If Interac has certified paralegals which will act as your legal proxy, and will give proof of having taken possession of your passport, then it may not be that horrible an option.

Can you explain?
Tsian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to be clear, I think most employers should have the decency to let their employees take the time to go renew their visa. (As many good employers will allow employees to duck out to go to the bank)

I'm not sure what service Interac is offering, but if they are offering to act as a legal proxy (as allowed on the immigration forms), then I would not necessarily feel uncomfortable allowing them to submit my paperwork for me. If I was a little uncomfortable, I might ask for a receipt / hanko / whatever acknowledging receipt of my passport (and a copy of the immigration form they plan to submit) so that, should anything bad happen, the police could be easily informed of Interac illegally withholding a passport.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kionon wrote:
I have used .5 days so far, and I was with my coordinator. That is work. Period. This is work related, as interac demanded a status change. I'm not interested in what Interac wants to do. I am interested in my legal rights. Seems like the should be considered work, as meeting visa requirements is a contractual obligation for both of us.

On an iPhone, so my briskness is due to the difficulty of typing. No harsh tone is meant.

don't ask for the time off, dictate the terms to them.

I imagine they try to not let anyone have these 2 days off.. wonder why?? along the lines of 65% summer pay, 75% x-mas pay... anyway, once I figured that out I sent this message:

"At the new hire training we were informed that we have two
paid days off to take care of the visa process as 'Interac
recognizes this as a vital component of employment' and
so two days are provided.

I will use one of these days now. I will not do visa renewal by post.

Lets schedule the day now so a replacement teacher can
be arranged."

there really was nothing they could do. they can't say no to a promise (which is also in your paper work). perhaps you can use a similar response..

again, the day is not really off. your school will ask you to make up the lost day and I don't think interac will pay for previously unscheduled day, making the 2 days unpaid..
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kionon wrote:
I was never told anything about two days, that is what the other poster said. I was told that if the school lets me leave early, that's fine. If they don't, something else will be figured out. Otherwise, if I took a day off to do it, it would cut into my legally mandated paid holiday. This seems to me to be illegal. Seems like an absolute requirement that there be a process in place for this.
What legally mandated holiday? If you have not been working for an employer for 6 months, you are obligated by law to have zero paid holidays given to you. After those 6 months, you must receive 10 days for the next 12 months.

If an employer puts into his contract that he will give you days off before those first 6 months, that's his business.

Quote:
I have a visa already. I've had several so far with no break in residency. This is a status of residence change from Humanities to Instructor. I most certainly have been working, immigration is well aware I've been working, and they gave me a quick turn around.
Then, IMO you've been very lucky, because as I'm sure you realize, working on that other visa is illegal in your situation. Perhaps the only reason you got a quick turnaround is that they felt you were trying to settle things as amicably as possible. Good for them and you, but you are technically still working illegally until that new visa arrives.

Quote:
my contract stipulates that both parties will do everything in their power to keep the visa current/correct. I work all day from before immigration opens until after immigration closes.
Then, it is up to you to determine how you want to negotiate this. It's personal business, of course, but far more work-related than just going to the dentist.

Interac employees past and present, what have you had happen?
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard from Kionon?

I haven't read about any huge revolutions in the public school system, I hope he's okay.
Kionon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late, late, late response.

Everything's great, actually. No revolutions, I am afraid, but Interac's been on the ball with every issue so far. I'm about to try to use some of my unscheduled paid holidays to go to America for about six days, so we'll see if that happens as I've been told it is.

Pretty happy.

Merry Christmas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: