Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aci Preschool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissabeth

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Aci Preschool Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have read through previous postings and have come across a few about the Aci schools throughout the past few years, but I haven't really seen anything too recent. Most of what I saw was not very uplifting so I would like to hear a more recent opinion about this school and see if there have been any changes. Even though I read some negative stories, I decided to sign a contract with them and will be starting at their preschool in August. Any insight that you may have, positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated. I will be arriving in Istanbul at the end of July and I am eager to make new friendships!
LauraK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Aci Reply with quote

Hello,

I read your post and I also was offered a position with Aci this Aug. I am very excited as well. The contract looks really good to me and the job seems about like what I have done in the past in other countries. Plus all the vacation time is a bonus, I did not even know about that until I received the contract.

Question....Are you having any issues communicating with them? I sent in my contract and a couple emails regarding the police check and start date and have not heard back from them. I had to change my interview with them a couple of times because no one showed up and emails always took a while for a response. I'm not too bothered by this because I understand it is the end of the year. I was just wondering if you were having some of the same issues. And hey....we might be working together so hello!
melissabeth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laura!

I'm glad to have finally heard back from someone who will be my future colleague! Where are you from? I live in Florida. I was offered the job back in October or November so I sent my contract in earlier this year. Communicating with them throughout the year has been a bit drawn out, but I had plenty of time to ask questions and prepare so it wasn't too much of a bother for me. I got most of my questions answered, but sometimes Meltem's responses were a little brief. For the most part, I felt like the process was professional. I only have a few other interviews to compare it to as I have never taught abroad before. It may be taking longer to get answers from them now that the school year has ended, but I'm pretty sure they work through the year. Recently, I have been communicating with the HR director and he has been very helpful. He's been out of the office for a couple of weeks and will be returning on the 18th. If you want to give him a try, his email is [email protected] . Once you have sent in all of your paper work, he will be contacting you about the health and work permit forms you need to fill out. As of now, I'm just waiting to find out where I will be living. By the way, will you be teaching at the Preschool or Primary school? I'll be at the Preschool. I look forward to meeting you and I hope my response was somewhat helpful! Also, you said that this job sounds similar to what you've done in the past in other countries. Since this will be my first experience, could you explain what you mean by that? Thanks!
LauraK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful and I really appreciate that guy's email. I am going to be at a preschool. I am from Minneapolis. Where are you from in Fl? I lived there for a bit near Clearwater and had a boyfriend from there so I have spent a lot of time there.

I meant that the contract was similiar pay/hours/insurance basically. The teaching hours are pretty standard and the prep time was too. I taught in Italy and Korea. That is great that you are teaching abroad for the first time! You will love it. Everybody always does and Istanbul seems like it will be the most amazing city. I just booked my one way flight this morning and I can not wait to get there!!

Thanks again for the info..

Laura
gursky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt, just wanted to say that it seems like the director is a lady, as Asli is a common women's name in Turkey. It's not really important, just thought I should let you know anyway. Good luck with next year:)
melissabeth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gursky! It is important! I probably would have been looking for a man when I arrive at the airport. In the future I will always remember to research the name before I assume the gender!
toyiki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: strange Reply with quote

so glad to be at the same campus and that you are teaching my son!
Strange world
Ramonaisabella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Aci Preschool Reply with quote

Hi, I'm wondering if any of the above posters are still at Aci Preschool? If so, could you please post an update re. your experience thus far.
lexharvey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, i wanted to know how your experiences have been since you started? would be great to get some up to date info. thanks!
vashdown2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
The salary is suppose to be high, but hard work conditions and long hours...

Any updates?
toyiki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: experience Reply with quote

I would not say that the salary is all that great- average salary package paid for by most schools. They have an international hire package and a local international hire package. If you are residing in Turkey or have a Turkish spouse you get the local international package which is a $300 housing stipend on top of your salary. The international hires get a house and all the bills paid.
I would say that you work longer hours at ACI - Basically you are working non stop from 8 am- 5 pm every day. There are many rules and regulations which you have to learn and that is your co teachers job. There are also many assessments and extremely detailed reports that are prepared 3 times per year, not to mention parent teacher meetings, and extra saturday morning for family fun days and the like. You also get assessed by the head or the director a few times per year. You are responsible for preparing lesson plans and extras. They have a good resource and activity bank. You get all the usual holidays off and around 6 weeks off in the summer. Tickets paid for if you are an international hire.
It depends on the campus but I would say its a very well ordered and pleasant place to work. The feedback is really helpful for improving your teaching skills. They also try to teach you the ACI way of doing things which is not so bad really. It certainly helps with yor classroom management skills.
If you are willing to dedicate yourself totally to your job and learn their way of doing things then this is the job for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: