Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current state of the English teaching industry in Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elright1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Current state of the English teaching industry in Spain Reply with quote

Hi,

First post in this forum...

Several people involved in the English teaching industry in Spain have told me generally positive things about the current state of the industry and job prospects.

Some of them arguably have a vested interest in what they have told me (I am considering moving to Spain next year, taking a CELTA course and then searching for 2013-14 jobs), so I would be grateful if others could respond to these points and advise whether they are accurate. Here is a summary of what I've been told:

- Despite Spain's economic woes, the English teaching sector is doing very well, although some regions where schools have relied on business classes (Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Bilbao for example) have noticed the effects of a reduction in some companies' training budgets.

- In other parts of the country (where main clients are children, young people and adults) business is still very strong as parents are reluctant to cut back on their kids� education and young adults realise they won�t get a job straight away so they take up English to boost their CVs.

- However, the recession meant that last year many English teachers stayed put in the schools where they were working, instead of moving around, meaning fewer job opportunities were being advertised.

- Many people in Ireland and the UK are retraining, and trying their hand at English teaching in Spain, meaning demand for teaching jobs is relatively high.

- People generally find English teaching work in June for the summer months and find work in about September for the following academic year.

- Many people who complete a four-week CELTA course in Barcelona are then able to go on and find English teaching work.

I would appreciate any feedback from people in the know about whether the above points are accurate. (As an aside I have an EU passport, am a native English speaker, have a reasonable level of conversational Spanish, and have some teaching experience but not in English teaching.)

Muchas gracias!
jonniboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Current state of the English teaching industry in Spain Reply with quote

Mostly that's spot on but I just wanted to comment on these parts...

elright1 wrote:

- People generally find English teaching work in June for the summer months and find work in about September for the following academic year.

- Many people who complete a four-week CELTA course in Barcelona are then able to go on and find English teaching work

June is absolutely the worst time to look for work of any sort in Spain, especially teaching. The second week of September is generally the best time to arrive. You'd find work first in September and then after that find work for summer.

Regarding the CELTA, it doesn't really matter where you do it, though obviously doing it in the city where you intend to teach is best as you'll get a feel for the city and the students and will have more time to make contacts.
elright1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Current state of the English teaching industry in Spain Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Jonniboy.

jonniboy wrote:

June is absolutely the worst time to look for work of any sort in Spain, especially teaching. The second week of September is generally the best time to arrive. You'd find work first in September and then after that find work for summer.

I'm looking at completing a CELTA course in Spain that finishes at the end of June. So I take it I should pretty much write off July and August as time to settle in to a particular city and then search for jobs properly in September. Perhaps I should delay my planned CELTA course for a month.
Grimace420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much forget finding work in July and August, especially as a newbie in Spain. There are summer camps and maybe a few private classes, but nothing stable. Try to time your arrival on the job market for around mid September as jonniboy said.
jamesart9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the new term? What about demand for privates?
I plan to go to Madrid in January. I hope to pick up some work from a school or agency and get some privates. I only need about 25hours maximum as I earn money from other things as well (all legal!).

I had to stay in the UK for the autumn due to other work.
Anyone? Thanks.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Barcelona and the surrounding towns, my impression (coming from different sources) is lots of private classes (more than ever, I'd say); small schools so badly hit in a few cases that they've closed; medium to large schools down slightly in terms of numbers but only really badly affected over in-company classes, where I understand numbers are well down...

The sort of scenario you'd expect really, in a country where 25% are unemployed.
jamesart9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's interesting, thanks.
I think for privates Madrid is probably my best bet?
I love surfing though, Sevilla would be good as it is nearer the Atlantic.
Does anyone know about privates in Sevilla? I did my CELTA there, possibly it is a bit small to find enough private work?
I don't want to do the north coast again, I want more sun! lol.
James.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never fix on a place and say "I want to work THERE!". Be prepared to go where the jobs are, especially if you're a newbie, either to the country or to the profession. That's especially important now, in the middle of a recession. Be mobile!
jamesart9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure that is why I think Madrid is probably the best shot? I prefer to be near the sea but these are hard times.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say your "best shot" is not (necessarily) Madrid but anywhere where anyone will actually offer you a job. Here in Barcelona, people turn down jobs 20-40km outside of the city as they say they "only" want to be in Barcelona...

But if someone is offering you a job in (say) Terrassa, not Barcelona, or Guadalajara, not Madrid, take it!

Once you've been in a job in a less popular place for a year, you can always start to look for something in a more desirable location (Barcelona, Madrid...) for the following year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: