Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract Termination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandiegoman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Contract Termination Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all of your advice and help.

I have quit my job with Language Link in Orenburg and they are keeping my salary. I have accepted this as I just want to move on from this terrible experience with them. The Students and Russia have been wonderful, but management has been awful. They promised several things before I came, and they tell me after I got here "That's not what we promised".

Anyways, I'm not here to just complain about another "McSchool" (I'll do that on another posting : )

I want to ask advice about contract termination, I'm still a bit concerned about my VISA.

I spoke to Vadim at rusvisa.org (He was a a very kind and friendly man) and he said not to worry because I have to physically go to UFMS to have my VISA cancelled.

However, Language Link wants to meet me one last time to have me sign some "Contract Termination" papers. Personally, I don't see the point in doing anything for them when they are keeping money that is owed to me. But, my girlfriend thinks it might be good to sign the papers just to leave this all behind us.

My question is....if i sign the papers, can this cancel my working visa. Language Link was my sponsor.

Thank you all for your help.

P.s. Do not work for Language Link in Orenburg Smile
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - your visa is safe - if you physically possess it. You have your passport, don't you?

BUT SIGN NOTHING!!!!!!

You would be effectively saying that they honoured all parts of their contract with you, and that you will not make any claims to the contrary in the future. They have not kept their end. Instead, tell them that you are starting a case for unfair dismissal and hint at the need for tax documents.

But sign nothing! Don't be bullied by them.
sandiegoman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sasha

Yes, I have my passport and VISA...physically.

I will do you as you advise, thanks again for all of your help.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact a Russian lawyer. You have much more in the way of rights than you think.

Good luck!
Foma87

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I signed the docs when I terminated my McContract after a couple months and nothing happened to my visa. No worries. But I like Sasha's take: tell them you're seeing a lawyer etc. and need tax info etc and yea, don't sign. That should might give them a headache at the very least. Don't expect a cent back from them, though.
Jazziz23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I wonder what happened. Was it pay related or the working conditions weren't great. Seems like Language Link is taking a hit everywhere.

I have talked to several former LL employees and none of them had anything good to say about the company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: