Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

costco membership for one person, worth it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stumptowny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: costco membership for one person, worth it? Reply with quote

so I have new large fridge and I don't mind buying and freezing 12 or 16 muffins at a time, or how ever many it is.. amongst other things.

considering the initial membership fees and the cost of the items there, do you think it is worth it? broad question, yes, but broad answers are welcome.. I would buy frozen things, toiletries, and those damn muffins!

or perhaps we could start a costco membership sharing/shopping system here. we all pay into the card and shop!
ALX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, muffins?
Apsara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how close you live to a Costco and whether or not you have a car to transport bulk items I suppose. We have a membership but even as a family it isn't really worth it for us because our nearest Costco is about an hour away and we don't have a car. Also the crowds on the weekends at the Costcos I have been to are so bad that I would just about pay not to go!
teacheratlarge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Apsara said, it really depends on how close you live and if you have a car as the regular Costco stores are made to be driven to. That or you get delivery on some items like I did the last time I went.

I haven't renewed my membership recently, as I'm in the same boat. That and I think my refrigerator isn't that big for buying some of the food items I would like to stock up on.
move

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only 4200 yen, you can spend that on one meal in Japan. I would buy it if the Costco was reasonably close to you, and if you plan to go more than twice a year. If you don't have wheels, check whether they have delivery service at that location. Delivery service is VERY reasonable, but not at all stores.

Not all things are cheap at Costco, some are the same price as discount supermarkets. Many things like coffee, laundry detergent, cheese (off the top of my head) are a great value though.

I think the muffins and the pizza alone are worth the price of membership. Wink
southofreality

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 12 fresh-baked bagels for less than 600 yen at Costco. This alone is reason enough to go once every two weeks...

A 1.1 kg bag of decent tortilla chips for 540 yen... I mean, seriously, if you have a taste for things from home, you'll get the membership and be glad you did it.

You friggin' cheapskate.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If delivery is needed, you will have to determine if the cost is worth it. Also, keep in mind that food for a single person is probably (IMO, anyway) not usually worth it. Stuff you can freeze away, or stuff that isn't perishable (canned/bottled goods) are the exceptions.

But there is also the matter of non-food items. Laundry soap, paper towels, toilet paper, aluminum foil, saran wrap, garbage bags, cleaners, toiletries.

It's not all muffins.
Apsara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southofreality wrote:
I get 12 fresh-baked bagels for less than 600 yen at Costco. This alone is reason enough to go once every two weeks...

Much as I love their bagels (and cheese), it's not enough reason for me to make the hour-long train journey with a toddler once every two months, let alone every two weeks, and I'd probably feel the same way even without the toddler. As I said, if there's a Costco nearby, it's worth it, if it's a hike, then not nearly as much.
Sweetsee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say join. Mmmmm...comfort foods! They will deliver your purchases for 1500 yen, I think.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ya'llz. for the cost/reward, I am doing much better than many of you. I have no family to watch over, no car, but the coscto is on my commute home. very easy to walk it there then lug it home... can always take a suitcase and ditch it outside if I wanna go crazy. yeah, it is not all about the muffins.. southofreality: thanks for kicking my ass into gear online! need me some comfort food.. do they have the fast food stop with the hideously looking but delicious chicken wraps?

so do I just need my ARC to join or that and passport? anything else I may not foresee coming?
Sweetsee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they've got the wraps, the massive dogs, lattes, churros, clam chowder, pizza, etc.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetsee wrote:
Yeah, they've got the wraps, the massive dogs, lattes, churros, clam chowder, pizza, etc.

I'm on it. and when I sign up for the membership, I will come hungry..
Sweetsee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! Best to hit the snack bar when you get there. Then pick yourself up some coffee, bagels, cheese, oatmeal, popcorn, olive oil, Ciabatta and a turkey breast. Yeah, that's the ticket!
teacheratlarge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try that next time, bringing a rolling suitcase. as I mentioned, the bigger issue is that it's quite out of the way, so for me and my partner, it's a special trip.

Glenski brought up a good point about the non-food items. In the past, I've stocked up on office supplies. I think some of the large sized hand soap and detergent is okay also, if you're not choosy.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacheratlarge wrote:
I might try that next time, bringing a rolling suitcase. as I mentioned, the bigger issue is that it's quite out of the way, so for me and my partner, it's a special trip.

Glenski brought up a good point about the non-food items. In the past, I've stocked up on office supplies. I think some of the large sized hand soap and detergent is okay also, if you're not choosy.

I am out in kanagawa. the costco near me is in Zama. It is really convenient and inconvenient at the same time. it literally is equal distance from 3 train lines which make a triangle around it basically. but it is not close to any of the stations! so I best get some good wheels on that large suitcase. part of me wants to ride my bike with a back pack and use the front basket but once I get in there, its gonna be hard to stay in check..

I will show up hungry and eat straight away. I agree... then again for the trip home...

have any of you trained/bussed it to zama costco? have you found the fastest way by public transit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: