Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How would Chinese schools 'rank' foreigners?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: How would Chinese schools 'rank' foreigners? Reply with quote

Just seeing if you guys agree or disagree with my observations of the wants of Chinese schools.

I am not talking about high end international schools who genuinely seem to want to hire someone trained in the art of teaching a specific subject, rather a run of the mill training centre or university. Perhaps even a singular school owned by a singular owner.

What I am asking is, who do they prioritize as the most important? I'm aware that some schools offer out contracts to 4-5 people then simply take the person who turns up IF they fit the bill better than another. So, in my opinion, this is how Chinese school owners would 'rank' their wants in a teacher[with regard to looks, nationality etc. not qualifications].

1st - White American Female [lots of pervy business types who love this, teenage girls want to be like her, it's more rare. American's generally seen, because of mass learning of American English, as superior.]
2nd - White British female [Same as above, except ranking British below American.]
3rd - White Canadian female [I think schools rank Canada below Britain.]
4/5/6th White American/English/Canadian male
7th - White Australian/New Zealand female [they seem to be afraid of their accents and it doesn't seem to hold as much weight as a North American or British.]
8th - White Aus/NZ male
9th - Other white English speakers who are from native countries, i.e. Ireland, South Africa
10th - American born Chinese (Still technically American, but the Chinese look spoils a cash cow occasionally.)
11th - Other native country born Chinese (Still can talk fluently in English, most schools will say 'he's English but has Chinese parents!
12th - Black native speaker [sometimes lie and say some African's were born in the UK and the USA]
13th - Any white person
14th - Black African [sometimes they have a niche whereby they are considered cool, perhaps by teenage boys who enjoy basketball.]

Sorry if this post seems racist, but I'm wondering if you guys agree or disagree with my general rankings?
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Filippinos?

What's the point of this post?
zactherat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think Mr.B is implying that this post is kid of shallow.

OK.. maybe it's an inference,

either way -

LarssonCrew wrote:
who do they prioritize as the most important?

Who is 'they', exactly? A Cantonese investor? A young upstart from Shanghai? I think there's way too much variation according to individuals' character (foreigners) and experience (domestic Chinese), to compile a meaningful list of this type.

In fact, OP,
to do so is..
well it's ironic because you are ignoring subjective examples and judging a collective
for.. ignoring subjectivity judging other collectives, so..

it's hypocritical.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's hypocritical.

However, the truth in what the OP says cannot be ignored. For the most part, anyway; a couple of the rankings are a little off. I think a Caucasian Canadian female would tie for first. Technically, they're still (North) American.
zactherat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, the truth in what the OP says cannot be ignored.

Yes - just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you ~
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some schools would put 'black native speaker' above American born Chinese or the other foreign-born Chinese. One of my coworkers is black and he's the only black guy in the city where I work. He is extremely popular with some people, but other people don't like him. Some of the Chinese are really flagrantly racist and don't seem to think there's anything wrong with it. Not quite like 1930s racism in the southern United States, but I've had students say things like "I don't like him because he's too black." or "They won't hire a black tutor. They only want a white tutor." Some of them, though, really like him.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but other people don't like him

One of my former students and I were walking in the city center of Zhengzhou one day and we saw a black man. She said "I don't like black people". I asked her if she had ever had a black teacher or known a black person. She said she hadn't, she just didn't like them because "THEY'RE SO BLACK!!".
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've heard the exact same thing. Makes no sense.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i've heard the same nonsense about black people. Chinese really have a small "member" about a lot of things so they need to hate japs and blacks, because they can't have big speakers and 4x4 cars to compensate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pilot82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I personally don't loose any sleep over racist chinese or people in general....but in China I was popular and got along well with almost everybody except the racist one's who thought I didn't speak or understand chinese were in for a rude awakening however....

I'm American I find it hilarious that they say "He's so black" when some of the earliest chinese people also came from Africa...and they were also....you guessed it...."SO BLACK" Anywhere there is a hot regional climate more than likely the inhabitants will have a darker skin tone...

Not to mention how much China does trade with Africa for resources...When I inform them of this....they don't know what to say due to loss of face over thier ignorance...."sha"
Pilot82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also second that Black native speakers are generally favored over foreign Chinese and even native white speakers in some cases. JMO
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP put a lot of emphasis on female being preferred over male. Not sure if that holds up. There are so many more males, it's hard to say. Some other factors seems to play in. A young, fresh-looking female might edge out a male with equivalent characteristics, but if the female is older or overweight, I doubt it.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much any school that's had problems in the past with male teachers boinking lots of students is going to favor females. A school that hasn't had such problems or doesn't really have to worry about such issues (ie, a school for adult professionals) probably won't care as much.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are so many more males

It has been MY OBSERVATION that the reason for this is that when the women get here the "culture shock" (lack of Western amenities) is a bit much for them. (Sounds chauvinistic, hence the caps.)
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Quote:
There are so many more males

It has been MY OBSERVATION that the reason for this is that when the women get here the "culture shock" (lack of Western amenities) is a bit much for them. (Sounds chauvinistic, hence the caps.)

now that we're completely off topic, my observation is that males are
more likely to travel, leave their home countries, go out and explore.

among those who are backpackin', males are more likely to run out
of cash and need a "teachin' gig" to pay for airfare home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: