Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied to Westgate twice over the years and they knocked me back. I don't really approve of their operation/ ethos either.

And that stupid faux crest of theirs. Rolling Eyes

+ they scam you on the accommodation, I think.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some UK universities can be flexible when it comes to qualifications. I am assuming that Japanese universities are totally inflexible - is that correct?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like pretty much anywhere in the world, if they need someone urgently and you are in the right place at the right time with the right contacts, they will likely be flexible. But you won't be their first choice, so it's highly unlikely that they will be willing to sponsor your visa. Apart from anything else it's a slow process so if your selling point is being there when they need someone yesterday, you are useless to them if they have to wait 3 months to employ you.

Last edited by HLJHLJ on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that Tokyo University was hiring P/T instructors for oral presentation classes and they had to have a PhD + plus documentary evidence of positive performance reviews from previous courses (etc.).

A PhD? To teach EFL? Really? Pathetic. That's another reason why I hate TEFL. And the money is crap, of course.

I have taught plenty of oral presentation classes down the years and I never needed a PhD; however, a lobotomy would have been nice. Laughing
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
Like pretty much anywhere in the world, if they need someone urgently and you are in the right place at the right time with the right contacts, they will likely be flexible. But you won't be their first choice, so it's highly unlikely that they will be willing to sponsor your visa. Apart from anything else it's a slow process so if your selling point is being there when they need someone yesterday, you are useless to them if they have to wait 3 months to employ you.

You have to have a special university teaching visa, do you?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why shouldn't they ask for PhDs if they can get them? It is university work. You talk about flexibility, but even in the UK most universities will preferentially hire PhDs, regardless of whether it's in any way relevant or useful. It looks better in their stats.

In any case, a P/T position isn't going to get you a visa.

BTW if you find Westgate unpalatable, you are setting your standards way too high for eikaiwa work.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:

You have to have a special university teaching visa, do you?

It's not any more special than any other visa, there are different visas for different jobs, and you have to have the 'right' visa for whatever job it is you are doing.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
Why shouldn't they ask for PhDs if they can get them? It is university work. You talk about flexibility, but even in the UK most universities will preferentially hire PhDs, regardless of whether it's in any way relevant or useful.

Because it was a p/t job teaching oral presentation skills - hardly rocket science. It's like asking you to have a Michelin star before you can cook a hamburger.

It's overkill. If you look across EFL departments in the UK, there are few PhDs - mostly MAs and PGCEs.

HLJHLJ wrote:
It looks better in their stats.

I guess.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
I find teaching TEFL to be inconsequential low stakes trivia, to be honest. I was very idealistic once but I think if you do anything for too long it becomes a chore. Like many, I never set out to teach TEFL long-term, but a job is a job, I canne just sit on my fat behind.
If this is your attitude, I find it hard to understand why you are even in it, let alone pursuing university work.

Quote:
What about just turning up on a tourist, finding a job, going to China to get the visa and then taking stock of my surroundings?
You can get the visa without leaving Japan. It appears your knowledge of the system is outdated.

And just in case you hadn't realized it, you aren't even eligible for PT work. You can't start working here with only PT jobs. The visa requires FT work.

So, you've already booked a ticket. When are you arriving? Anything after the first of October means you are going to have to scrape for jobs, since the number of ads declines until February. Some uni and ALT job ads may be prevalent, but they will start in April 2013.

Come as a tourist and enjoy yourself. Nothing more.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
If this is your attitude, I find it hard to understand why you are even in it, let alone pursuing university work.

Because (a) it is the only thing I am qualified to do (b) we don't always do what we want to be doing, e.g. garbage collector, etc., and (c) it takes time to transition out of a job sometimes ... I cannot afford to take an extended break from work.

Glenski wrote:
You can get the visa without leaving Japan. It appears your knowledge of the system is outdated.

Cool. That's good to know. Very Happy

Glenski wrote:
So, you've already booked a ticket. When are you arriving? Anything after the first of October means you are going to have to scrape for jobs, since the number of ads declines until February. Some uni and ALT job ads may be prevalent, but they will start in April 2013.

No, I lied about the ticket. I was going to see if you'd lend me the money before committing.

I suppose I could turn up in, say, 1-2 weeks. Would there be jobs available in Tokyo at that time? I don't think there is any point hanging around for up to 4 months. In which case, I would have to think of something else.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:

Because (a) it is the only thing I am qualified to do (b) we don't always do what we want to be doing, e.g. garbage collector, etc., and (c) it takes time to transition out of a job sometimes ... I cannot afford to take an extended break from work.

Glenski wrote:

Glenski wrote:

No, I lied about the ticket. I was going to see if you'd lend me the money before committing.

I suppose I could turn up in, say, 1-2 weeks. Would there be jobs available in Tokyo at that time? I don't think there is any point hanging around for up to 4 months. In which case, I would have to think of something else.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:

Glenski wrote:

Glenski wrote:

Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
Glenski wrote:

I'm sure others will tell you how to find work outside of teaching.

Quote:
Jobs will be scarce. Expect to support yourself for 2-4 months before you find a job, interview, get it, apply for and get a visa so you can start work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: