Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shabaka Training's Gender iDiscrimination.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wantok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Shabaka Training's Gender iDiscrimination. Reply with quote

Truly bizarre!

http://www.shabakatraining.com/

I once heard about Saudi women who placed a permanent slip of masking tape over their laptop's webcam.

I guess http://www.ebay.com/itm/webcam-cover-accessory-laptop-notebook-netbook-/120709287832 sell well in the Kingdom!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often I prefer that my webcam isn't on... Laughing

VS
Barbaros

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shabaka Training's Gender iDiscrimination. Reply with quote

wantok wrote:
Truly bizarre!

http://www.shabakatraining.com/

I once heard about Saudi women who placed a permanent slip of masking tape over their laptop's webcam.

I guess http://www.ebay.com/itm/webcam-cover-accessory-laptop-notebook-netbook-/120709287832 sell well in the Kingdom!

Well, in the Magic Kingdom, anything which is bizarre is a bazaar for the Saudis! Laughing
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Shabaka's shenanigans:What else is new? Reply with quote

Last year, foreign women who taught at Shabaka were informed that they had to sign a contract promising they would not get pregnant. They signed or their contracts were not renewed.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big question is what they will do if you do get pregnant. As long as you are legally married... Do you not then come under Saudi employment law where they have to cover you?

VS
Barbaros

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The big question is what they will do if you do get pregnant. VS

Well, in this case she will get 100 lashes! Laughing
(of course after the baby is born).
wantok

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever strategy is to get pregnant between the medical exam and arrival.

A few years ago apparently a husband and wife arrived, the wife to teach, the husband to take a "management" position. Both were on Shabaka-sponsored illegal visas, which means no medical required.

She was rewarded with quite a few months off to emit the infant and nurture it, the former compliments of illegal health insurance.

Pregnancy and visa by convenience!

I guess they were chuffed!
AbeCross

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Crimes at committed with impunity Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The big question is what they will do if you do get pregnant. As long as you are legally married... Do you not then come under Saudi employment law where they have to cover you?

VS

The hockey coach who manages the place answers to nobody. Managerial decisions are made on a whim without consideration of their legality or perniciousness.
Think of the mad colonel in Apocalypse Now. Colonel Kurtz: "Are my methods unsound?"
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
wantok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickel, rumor has it that chthon's career may have devolved into lucrative membership with the Prevention of Vice and Preservation of Virtue squad.

He rehearsed well amongst these threads.

His self-righteous spins nevertheless continue, but now, I suspect, with hand$omer regard and reward.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am FEMALE teacher currently employed by Shabaka Training to teach at King Faisal University this year (2012-2013) and I can say that this no-pregnancy clause is totally FALSE.
wantok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Present tense.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Shabaka's unscrupulous management Reply with quote

vashdown2 wrote:
I am FEMALE teacher currently employed by Shabaka Training to teach at King Faisal University this year (2012-2013) and I can say that this no-pregnancy clause is totally FALSE.

Ask another female teacher who was there last year for the sordid details of the no-pregnancy clause. However, you may not be able to find any female teachers who stayed on-other than the wife of the assistant academic director. Teacher turnover at Shabaka is extremely high-even by Saudi EFL standards, and that high turnover rate is due to the company's inept and unprofessional management. If you do a little research, you'll also learn about Shabaka's myriad other unsavory practices such as the notorious Rehiring Committee.
feverpitch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Shabaka's unscrupulous management Reply with quote

Ask another female teacher who was there last year for the sordid details of the no-pregnancy clause. However, you may not be able to find any female teachers who stayed on-other than the wife of the assistant academic director. Teacher turnover at Shabaka is extremely high-even by Saudi EFL standards, and that high turnover rate is due to the company's inept and unprofessional management. If you do a little research, you'll also learn about Shabaka's myriad other unsavory practices such as the notorious Rehiring Committee.[/quote]

I was part of this committee and I have to agree with Abecross. Despite all our best efforts to ensure that the rehiring was dealt with in as professional manner as possible once we had made our decisions it was agreed that we would not tell any teacher their "fate" until a week or two before the end of the contract to avoid any possible problems.

The director, however, always wanted to win the popularity contest, so two days later he told all the people that we wanted to keep that their jobs were safe, but failed to realise the implications for the not so fortunate (if you can call it that).

If you are thinking of working there, take the "Buyer Beware" section of their contract seriously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: