Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live-in tutoring arrangement?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Live-in tutoring arrangement? Reply with quote

I'm interested in a company that offers live-in placements of 3 months in Spain. You stay for 3 months and receive board and lodging in exchange for 15 hours' EFL tutoring for the family. You can use the rest of your time as you wish. You pay about �460 to be matched to the family.

I realise that this wouldn't appeal to hardened TEFLers, but for someone who wants to learn some Spanish, get a feel for the lifestyle and career opportunities, have something to add to one's CV and also have time to do some private study, is this an interesting idea? I'd also be hoping to get one or two paying students so I wouldn't have to dip into my savings for every single thing, but don't know how likely this is.

Obviously, I'd prefer to arrange something like this myself, and save some money!
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this arrangement could be useful for you. It would get you started in Spain and let you get a feel for the place.

But, I think these positions are for newbies and folk with no quals and no degrees. If you have a BA/Celta, I would take the very slight risk, get yourself here, and get a job in an academy.

There are lots of jobs out there, and getting private students is not too difficult. Although, you have missed the peak hiring season and the peak private tutoring season. But there are still plenty of jobs.

Good luck.
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel

Thanks. I'm a bit worried though, because I keep reading that there's such a lot of competition for jobs, and I don't want to go over to Spain to look for a job if it's likely to take quite a long time. Although I've taught English before I don't have a full CELTA-type qualification yet. I was considering doing one in Spain either just before Christmas or just after, finishing in early February. If I do one after Christmas then I could stay there to look for and to start a job, rather than having to fly home and then fly back in the new year. But is February a bit late to be starting a TEFL job in Spain?
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon in Madrid you'll be fine. February is not ideal, but there will 100% be plenty of jobs there, even in February.

So it should be quite easy to find work from Feb-July, then August will be quiet (although there is work available in August). But you could work on getting a good job for September 2013.

But the live-in tutoring could be a good back-up plan.
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: