Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How would Chinese schools 'rank' foreigners?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpartee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now that we're completely off topic

How so? It has also been my experience that some schools are a little antsy about hiring women for this very reason.
Babala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that if the school has had past problems with male teachers then they may choose to opt for a female teachers.

I thing that the female teachers who may struggle here tend to be the single younger ones. They may find the dating scene here difficult.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my observations, it was mainly based upon one to one teaching. It just seems that, whilst males can cover all the children in the evening and the weekends, during the day it tends to be more businessmen.

Needless to say a semi good looking white native speaker can put the cash through the till, and normally, once paid upfront, many businessmen realise that it's a no go as far as hitting the hotel, and so give up after 4-5 classes. This is what I have seen and experienced.
TechGuyJim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past month I have been saying "white college educated American male" in my cover letter. I get replies back from all the listings I have been inquiring about. Ended up signing to a Training center, which probably prefers that.

I wonder if the Chinese recruiters know the subtlety in that, as at least in the States it would be illegal for an HR person to ask you your race due to EOE\Title 7. So for a cover letter or CV description you would never mention that for a western job.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if the Chinese recruiters know the subtlety in that, as at least in the States it would be illegal for an HR person to ask you your race due to EOE\Title 7.

They could not care less!
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TechGuyJim wrote:
I wonder if the Chinese recruiters know the subtlety in that, as at least in the States it would be illegal for an HR person to ask you your race due to EOE\Title 7. So for a cover letter or CV description you would never mention that for a western job.

that's specific to the usa, not to western jobs. when i was in germany,
it was standard practice to include a photo with your cv. that way,
they know you're blond & blue-eyed without having to say it.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thing that the female teachers who may struggle here tend to be the single younger ones. They may find the dating scene here difficult.

Yeah, I agree with this. And it's a very polite way to put it.
Miajiayou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think women are more sought after because gender roles are a bit stricter in China. They think women will not stay out drinking all night, will not sleep around, will keep their apartments clean, will keep themselves and their clothes clean, will be more social with students and colleagues, will not argue or get angry as much, etc. The women I've known in China generally fit the bill. Of course, a lot of men do as well, they just can't seem to manage to change the image that was burned into an FAOs mind the moment they met their first total loser FT. Mine won't hire Australians, period. Even when we need teachers.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mine won't hire Australians, period. Even when we need teachers.

Yeah, different bosses have different preferences. My boss has an huge preference for Americans. She once told me she only wanted to hire "Full-blooded Americans", whatever that means. Apparently, though, she doesn't care about skin color. Our teachers right now are all American, and in the three years I've worked here, we've had one Canadian and like 10 Americans. Never had any British, Australians, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: