Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for a certified teacher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexportnoy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Advice for a certified teacher? Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the job market is like for a NY state certified English teacher in Buenos Aires? I have certification in English Language Arts for grades 7-12 (ages 12-18 more or less). I've been teaching English in Chile on a volunteer basis since June and in December I plan on relocating to Buenos Aires. I've been to BA before, I love the city, and I'd like to spend a year or more there if I can.

I plan on getting CELTA certification by February. I'd be willing to work in a public school (if this is even possible) but I'd ideally work in a private school....I'm trying to avoid working at language institutes if I can.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
mersshroyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentina is not the place to go if you really want to get the most out of your quals, unfortunately. You may be able to get a job in a public school, but the working conditions and pay will be pretty low. I'd suggest trying to contact private schools (not language institutes) because public schools are really insane, especially in BA. And I mean insane as in death threats from your students if you give them a bad grade and frequent anarchy in the classroom.

I also advise against Americans moving to Argentina at the moment due to the current laws that prohibit people from obtaining USD. You literally cannot get USD anywhere in the country. You will have to go to Uruguay (usually over 200 USD roundtrip from BA) if you need to convert your earnings in order to pay bills back home. Overall, my advice is to look into teaching in Montevideo, where the living conditions are a lot higher, it's much safer and you can easily visit BA. Hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: