Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Least polluted cities and/or best Air Quality?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Least polluted cities and/or best Air Quality? Reply with quote

I was about to take a Chengdu deal when I was told that ıts aır qualıty ıs worse than Los Angeles' which, for anyone not famılıar wıth ıt, is pretty brown-out NASTY. My wıfe and I wouldnt wanna end up unwıttıngly lıvıng ın a severely polluted area---had no ıdea untıl just by chance at the last mınute about chengdu for example. Very hıgh partıculate-matter/suspended partıculates there due to apparently Chongqing İron Works downwind or somethıng lıke that..... who knew? Confused
zactherat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My wıfe and I wouldnt wanna end up unwıttıngly lıvıng ın a severely polluted area

if that really bothers you, you're probably better-off going to Japan or Korea instead. In China, most of the better living standards are found in the bigger cities, which all have their "crazy bad" days, so..
Ariadne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big cities, small towns, factory cities in the middle of nowhere... it's tough to escape bad air in China. When I lived in Zhuhai the furniture and floors collected a black film in less than a day after cleaning. It's a lot better in Fujian. There are even birds here! Never saw or heard birds in Zhuhai.

Various local government reports regarding air quality might not be entirely truthful. It can be very tricky getting the information you need to make your choice of work locations. Individual FTs are not always a reliable source either because people notice and react to pollution differently. Some are oblivious and some are ultra sensitive.

Don't know what to advise. Xin Jiang maybe? But then they'd probably open a factory right next door to your school or begin a two year demolition and construction project across the road.

LeopoldBloom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those replies were not helpful enough, I'll offer my five pence.

Air pollution in China is a good thing to be concerned about because it can be horrendous. I live in Vietnam which ranks 123rd in air quality in the world of countries ranked, just maybe five positions above China.

How does it compare? The air in Vietnam is far better. China is exponentially, exponentially a air quality nightmare. I lived there for five years.

The places to avoid are especially in the North. Luoyang, Henan, Beijing Gansu, Anhui, etc. Stay away from the North of China. Don't even consider it no matter what they say about the river blowing it out or whatever; it's complete bs.

Zhuhai, Zhanjiang, Fujian and places like that are fairly decent and far better than most other places in China. far south Guangxi in parts too. Shop around there.

Bloom.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Qingdao on the coast.
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coastal cities will be your best bet.

Off the top of my head the least polluted areas/cities are:
Xiamen
Kunming
Hainan
chinatimes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is worse, consuming 100 pounds of sugar or 100 pounds of candy?

It's 100 pounds in the end, and I would stay away from either. It doesn't matter where it is. What's important is that you avoid exposure. If you live indoors and don't walk around a lot, then your lungs will thank you. You can live almost anywhere.

If you have to walk a lot, commute, walk a lot more, and then do the same coming back, then you are increasing the exposure you have with bad air (even if it is a fraction).

Spend more time worrying about the job, where you will live relative to where the school is, and where you need to go off hours.

Everyone will want to travel anyway, location ain't no thang yo.
Laoshi1950

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the OP asked for a list of China's least-polluted cities. In my years in China, I have worked in five different cities - Nanchang (Jiangxi), Wenzhou (Zhejiang), Wuhan (Hubei), and now Beijing. All suffered from appalling air pollution on a regular basis. But, of that small sample, the "least-polluted" was Wenzhou, on the coast.

According to the World Health Organization (September 2011), Lanzhou in Gansu Province, is China's most-polluted provincial capital city.

The WHO report focuses on air particles known as PM10s (microscopic vehicle and dust specks of less than 10 micrometers, in 121 micrograms per cubic meter).

The China Briefing website (http://www.china-briefing.com) says that the WHO data was compiled from China�s own official sources, the China Statistical Yearbook. That website asserts that the Yearbook is not noted for its overall accuracy and has a tendency to massage data in the State�s favor.

The WHO recommends an upper limit of 20mcg for PM10s, which can cause serious respiratory problems including lung cancer.

The WHO lists the 12 most-polluted cities as -

(PM10mcg)
1. Lanzhou 150
2. Xining 141
3. Urumqi 140
4. Jinan 123
5. Beijing 121
6. Xi'an 113
7. Hefei 111
8. Chengdu 111
9. Shenyang 110
10. Taiyuan 106
11.Wuhan 105
12. Chongqing 105

On a more 'positive' note, the least-polluted cities measured by their PM10 levels were listed, in order, as 1. Haikou (38 ), 2. Hong Kong (47), 3. Lhasa (50), 4. Nanning (50), 5. Fuzhou (64), 6. Kunming (67).
chinesearmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laoshi1950 wrote:
On a more 'positive' note, the least-polluted cities measured by their PM10 levels were listed, in order, as 1. Haikou (38 ), 2. Hong Kong (47), 3. Lhasa (50), 4. Nanning (50), 5. Fuzhou (64), 6. Kunming (67).

LOL Hong Kong is one of the least polluted cities? Quite the opposite actually
GlobetrekkerESL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Guangyuan and other small towns in Sichuan at least a couple hours from Chengdu and Chongqing might offer good air and mountain hiking though tough to communicate and do business. I only know of Guangyuan city since that's where I recently accepted a job offer. There are only a small handful of foreigners there and it's probably a very challenging place for a first timer in China due to not having anyone to help me learn and the locals not accustomed to seeing visitors so I'm a bit nervous despite having taught several years already in Korea and traveling everywhere except the mainland of China. I'm going to be teaching a small group of high school aged level 2 kids a college prep curriculum coming from the wealthy families who are looking to send their kids out of country to university. There are a whopping 2,400,000 people in Guangyuan city, but no Western style anything yet other than a Dico's according to what the previous teacher I'm in contact with told me. She said very nice air and hiking trails and agriculture are there along with a traditional market center. I expect a 2.4 million stares, but hope they are more open to talk and acknowledge me than what I experienced in Korea.

Can anyone fill us in on Guangyuan and Sichuan?
chinadad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Sichuan - my work is very travel orientated - and i drive through Gaungyaun about 8 times a year. Like a lot of N Sichuan extremely polluted - you just have to read the wiki on the city -
Quote:
Guangyuan's economy is based on a diverse array of heavy industry, as well as mining and agriculture. It is an ancient city, notable for its relics and tombs. Plant 821, a large plutonium producing reactor is located near Guangyuan

To get to areas of mountain - where the hiking is good, and you'll find zero tourists - you have to drive around 2 to 3 hours further NE to areas near the Shaanxi border - but here there are no towns of a size that would have employment for foreigners.
doogsville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariadne wrote:
Big cities, small towns, factory cities in the middle of nowhere... it's tough to escape bad air in China. When I lived in Zhuhai the furniture and floors collected a black film in less than a day after cleaning. It's a lot better in Fujian. There are even birds here! Never saw or heard birds in Zhuhai.

I think Zhuhai must have improved since you lived here. I've been here almost two years and the air is not too bad. It's better than other places I've lived in and visited in China. There are birds aplenty too, and while I get a bit of dust in my apartment because I keep the windows open to the breeze, I've never experienced the black film of which you speak. I have had black mould in winter due to humidity, but it's not because of air quality.

Most of Zhuhai is free from heavy industry and the resultant pollution. There are areas that are affected, but they are far from the city centre and residential areas.
Banner41

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Chengdu....pollution and all. (Really wasn't as bad as some of the other big cites but Chegdu is ambitious to become a first tier city so my guess is it will get worse)
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx 2 all and 2 all a goodnıght!

pollutıon ıs def a problem ın Chına and now I belıeve ıt even more after readıng these posts.

who wouldve known out of the way places lıke Urumqi would be so polluted?
peter50

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"1. Lanzhou 150
2. Xining 141
3. Urumqi 140
4. Jinan 123
5. Beijing 121
6. Xi'an 113
7. Hefei 111
8. Chengdu 111
9. Shenyang 110
10. Taiyuan 106
11.Wuhan 105
12. Chongqing 105
"

These tips are really helpful...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: