Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ibri Oman HELP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pearl_1212

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Ibri Oman HELP Reply with quote

Hello,
I just got offered a position in Ibri Oman. Unfortunately I can not find information about working there, the expact community there and more importantly housing. I have worked in the middle east before but housing ws provided. With my offer now I am given an allowance and I have to find a place. Could someone tell more about the cost of a 1 bedroom? And something close to the college of technology.
Also, while working in Saudi my employer would take our passports and return it to us when needed. Is the case in Oman as well?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employers don't hold the passports in Oman (with a few exceptions that are private employers). There haven't been any complaints here about recruiters trying to hold passports. They will take it for a bit to get the visa stamped and the labor card.

Did you try a search here? Use the one near the log in area, type in Ibri and whatever else... housing... flats... Then tick "search all terms." Choose Oman on the drop down and you should find a few threads. Normally you start out in a hotel, and I'm sure that the college and your fellow teachers will assist in finding flats. From what people have posted here, prices are pretty reasonable.

VS
pearl_1212

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks, that was helpful
If anybody there now, or was recently there any information would be appreciated.
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pearl_1212 wrote:
Great thanks, that was helpful
If anybody there now, or was recently there any information would be appreciated.

Pearl

Don't worry, Oman is the best place in the Middle East in terms of people, treatment and relaxation.
I was concerned like you, but when arrived in Ibra, first in a hotel, then I found tens of colleagues and people are very very helpful because they live a normal life, unlike the prison of Saudi Arabia!!
Do not worry at all, I found a fully furnished flat for 120 OR in 2 days! rented a car the following day, and got very helpful and nice friends.
Iqama ( as called in Saudi Arabia ) and residency card done in 5 days! then you can travel anywhere, when come back to Oman, just scan your thumb and the gate opens, welcome back! easy country, easy procedures,easy life, and easy people.
You will see yourself.
airapets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: housing in Ibri Reply with quote

TATI was my contractor and they paid for two weeks at the local hotel. In the end I sub-letted from a coworker. There are two or three agencies in the town that help find rentals for people and they do speak English. I visited one which was on the main street, which goes out to both colleges. There is another opposite the big mosque and a little north. This was three years ago, but I doubt little has changed.
aummua

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a whole two weeks?
pearl_1212

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks, for the help!

I signed my offer letter with bahwan ceyber-tech. They were so insistant on me signing it and me coming out with in the week. Now I am waiting for my contract and ticket....they said they would take my paperwork to the ministry...how long would it before they send me my final travel arrangements?
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pearl_1212 wrote:
Great thanks, for the help!

I signed my offer letter with bahwan ceyber-tech. They were so insistant on me signing it and me coming out with in the week. Now I am waiting for my contract and ticket....they said they would take my paperwork to the ministry...how long would it before they send me my final travel arrangements?

Pearl

You will be pleased soon!
This is just a routine in Oman, they have to get the approval of the ministry before they send you a ticket. You will wait maybe more than 2 weeks as this week is the last one before the Eid holiday starts on 27/10 to 3/11. You are lucky if they get the approval this week. I have a friend in Salalah who is working for Bahwan, he is very happy, and every thing is done properly and on time. Good luck and happy Eid!
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pearl_1212 wrote:

I signed my offer letter with bahwan ceyber-tech.

While perhaps not the most outstanding of the recruiters overall (though they are all pretty much of a muchness), Bahwan do at least have a fairly good settling-in process in place. Your initial transition to life in the Sultanate should be relatively smooth and hassle free.
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should talk to Antonio. He has been the HOD at Ibri College of Tech for the last 7 years or so. PM for his email.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio's gone. Just about all the native speakers are gone. There's a few of us left, none of whom would likely recommend working here. This isn't really a school, per se. It's a holding pen. It's an Arab Spring 2 preventer. If you can get with that, you might be ok.

I come to work every day, sit at my desk for five hours, then go into a classroom where hopefully some of the students will do something that at least vaguely resembles learning. Try to do things properly and you risk the students complaining to the dean. A couple weeks ago they reported that I make phone calls during class. I pointed out that I don't have a cell phone, let alone anyone to call, but I don't think anyone was listening. Like I said, this place isn't about teaching and learning, it's about going through the motions. You might have some spirit coming in, but it'll be gone come spring.

A room will run you 150, give or take. It won't be near the college so you'll have to acquire transportation. Nothing is near the college. Nothing is near anything in Ibri. This is someone's sick joke of a town, not an actual town.

God I can't wait to get out of here....
tmac-100

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Antonio's gone. Just about all the native speakers are gone. There's a few of us left, none of whom would likely recommend working here. This isn't really a school, per se. It's a holding pen. It's an Arab Spring 2 preventer. If you can get with that, you might be ok.

.... snip ......

God I can't wait to get out of here....

Be careful what you wish for. In (nearby) Qatar, approx. 40 ESL Faculty (and other faculty too, but I refer to what my friends at CNA-Qatar teaching ESL/EFL tell me) were let go in April when the Qatar government cut the CNA-Qatar budget by around 24%. There were administrative positions (just below Deans) cut and at least one "unit" or "department" was closed as well. These folks are looking for work ...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this have to do with Oman? or Ibri?

There never was any comparability between working for a recruiter in the hinterlands of Ibri near the bottom of the Gulf pay scale and what was basically a posh Canadian government job in Doha, Qatar. Gravy Trains like that one have come and gone in the Gulf and there has been 2-3 years of warning that this was likely to happen there sooner, if not later. Sad for the teachers, but it could only have been a surprise for the totally disconnected...

VS
tmac-100

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
What does this have to do with Oman? or Ibri?

There never was any comparability between working for a recruiter in the hinterlands of Ibri near the bottom of the Gulf pay scale and what was basically a posh Canadian government job in Doha, Qatar. Gravy Trains like that one have come and gone in the Gulf and there has been 2-3 years of warning that this was likely to happen there sooner, if not later. Sad for the teachers, but it could only have been a surprise for the totally disconnected...

VS

There, there, VS... Don't get your knickers in a knot. Pull YOUR horns in as well as I don't need to see them. I am NOT a matador! Besides, this is not some "paper" that you are marking. Shut off your teacher mode.

Regardless, of what you say about Ibis and CNAQ, they are BOTH for profit systems. The CNA-Q was established as a Qatar-funded system, expecting a service. The result? CNA was providing the system/service - to the satisfaction of the Qatar government. establishing the contract apparently too some time after the competition was won by CNA-NL. Qatar was happy enough to extend the 10-year contract by 1 year and then for another 3 years. Qatar says so - even now. However, they are now cutting back on a variety of educational services and other services employing expats.

FWIW, there are still "gravy trains" as you call them all over this region, and many of them involve the military and the "need" for expensive jet fighters etc, from the USA, France, and the UK. The Canadian ESL/EFL gravy train is tiny as compared to what goes on with regard to the buying/selling of military "stuff". So is the ESL/EFL situation in ANY country as compared to the military "stuff". This is just an observation, not any criticism of any governmental policy.

The ESL world has changed since you, VS, started in the business. I DO NOT have to remind you, nor any other professional who has been in the EFL/ESL business that the ESL world is changing quickly in Oman, Ibis, and everywhere else that EFL/ESL courses are being run on a "for-profit" basis. There are Latin slogans regarding "taking care", but I don't need to mention them.

From observations of work situations in many parts of the world, I note that ESL teachers are temporary employees. Some get conned by recruiters into p**s poor situations, and some are lucky enough to be direct hires into excellent working conditions with great work situations, and some struggle in a part time work situation. Those situations are still as temporary as ... say the ESL/EFL positions in the USA - where many faculty work as adjuncts with (you, VS can insert the appropriate adjective here) benefits.

BUT we know this, and you, VS, have certainly commented on various situations. Thank you for your shared wisdom/experience in the MENA world.

Carry on VS, I am not worried about YOUR opinion and you have certainly voiced YOUR view of mine. While I can defend myself, I prefer to ignore horns and especially from pious individuals. I am not saying that you are pious, VS, but please understand my bias, if you can expand your perspective.
cam

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for. In (nearby) Qatar, approx. 40 ESL Faculty (and other faculty too, but I refer to what my friends at CNA-Qatar teaching ESL/EFL tell me) were let go in April when the Qatar government cut the CNA-Qatar budget by around 24%. There were administrative positions (just below Deans) cut and at least one "unit" or "department" was closed as well. These folks are looking for work ...

Ibri may not be the most exciting place in Oman but it is better than being without a job. There are 100s of teachers standing in line in India and the Phil. waiting to take your job.

Tell the folks at CNA to apply in Oman and maybe they can replace pooroldedgar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: