Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions About Finding Housing in Costa Rica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
likes2teach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Questions About Finding Housing in Costa Rica Reply with quote

Im a first time teacher looking to move to Costa Rica, and I was looking for some advice on housing from those more experienced in the way things work out there. Im planning on living in the country somewhat long term and would like to find a place to live for 9 months to a year to begin with.

Firstly, and Most Importantly:
Are there any good online resources out there that people have had positive experiences with? Any online classified ads (in English or Spanish) that have worked well for you in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Also a Couple of General Questions:
How do leases generally work out there? Do most start at the beginning of the month, in the familiar American fashion (meaning one would likely need to find something temporary (i.e. cheap hotel / hostel) if arriving in the middle of the month)?

-and-

Are leases usually for a specified length of time or are most situations month-to-month?

-finally-

Is there anything that serves to list and/or match people looking for roommates? (ex. there is a website called compartodepto.com that does this in Argentina and other countries, but not Costa Rica).

Any kernels of wisdom you might be able to share would be extremely helpful for the uninitiated. A little bit of insider knowledge always helps to alleviate some of the stress I have when heading into the unknown. Others please feel free to post additional questions I might have neglected to ask.

Cheers,
Sam
alexandracathlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever end up making your move to Costa Rica?
likes2teach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did make the move. I went there and have recently returned back to the States.

The basic info I can pass along comes from my personal experience there, but that housing is best done once you are in the country. Either you talk to someone where you work who is moving out and you can take over their living situation, you meet someone who has an extra room, or you see flyers in the area you want to live in. For me, the school I worked at in the Central Valley gave me lots of support in finding housing and I ended up living with one of the other teachers in their apartment.

I never entered into a strict/formal lease with anyone, which was good since I wasn't 100% on how long I wanted to be stationary. But this is a purely situation-by-situation deal just like it is in the US.

There is a good bit of variety in housing options in the central valley (location, level of nicety, and price) and all over the country. My advice is to know in advance what your personal requirements are / how you are comfortable living and make sure those needs are met. For me it was hot water, internet, and a full kitchen. By keeping it simple I was able to look at a lot more options and found one that was easily affordable on the budget I had for my time in Costa Rica.

Hope this was helpful. Please post if you have any more questions general or specific and I will do my best to answer them.

Cheers
alexandracathlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I am in the process of trying to figure out where it is exactly that I want to move and teach. I am looking to make my move on the first of January. I have been applying for jobs already, but I haven't heard anything back really. Where did you work? I just applied for a job at English-2-Go, I have read good things about them. Did you have a job lined up before you went or did you just wait until you got there to find one? I have my B.A. in journalism and TESOL certifications for children, business, and advanced. What sort of paperwork did you bring with you - besides the obvious visa, degrees and certifications.
likes2teach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt have a job yet when I got on my flight out of the US. I knew I wanted to go sight seeing for little while when i got there, so for 3-4 weeks I traveled around the country and made sure to email out my resume to a few places every night until I found a job that I liked. Eventually I got hired at Idiomas Mundiales in the Central Valley. And I found it by using great sites like this one and other like it to get names of well liked programs in the country.

This process worked for me (as opposed to staying in the city and just trying to find a job all day), but it did mean taking a few extra buses to interviews from wherever I was at the time.

You should bring TEFL certification (or a copy), your Diploma (or a copy), and maybe your passport w/visa (or a copy) to any interviews. Also have a quick 10-15 minute lesson you can use and are comfortable with, because this is frequently part of the interview process. Besides that you should do great!

When I got hired at Ididomas Munidales I didn't have any teaching experience, and they kind of looked at it as a positive because they could teach me how they liked their classes to go and I didn't have any preconceived notions from teaching other places. Just a little bit of encouragement!
alexandracathlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an interview with English-2-Go later this week. I've read good things about them, so that seems to be a good sign. Should I get a lesson plan ready, even though it is just over Skype? If I get the job, what do I need to be doing about a visa? I've been overseas, but I have never tried to work abroad.
JonnyBBad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'd really like to hear a follow up to your situation if possible alexandracathlin. Did you get your job, are you still in Costa Rica, how was your teaching experience there, etc etc???
Thanks in advance!
alexandracathlin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBBad wrote:
Hi. I'd really like to hear a follow up to your situation if possible alexandracathlin. Did you get your job, are you still in Costa Rica, how was your teaching experience there, etc etc???
Thanks in advance!

Hi there! Actually, I did land a job, just not with English-2-Go, I am teaching adults, teens, and kids at Berlitz. I am still living here in Costa Rica, I live in San Pedro and I love it. I have been here for over 6 months now. I work a lot, but I worked a lot in the States too, so that is not that different. Most teaching positions in Costa Rica are located in the San Jose area and teaching on Saturdays is part of the gig. My students are awesome and I am always learning as much from them as they are from me. Are you thinking about coming to Costa Rica to teach? What is your situation? Let me know if you want to know any other specifics. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: