Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reading enrichment programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geaaronson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: reading enrichment programs Reply with quote

I hope someone out there can help me.

I am looking for scholarly abstracts/articles on education, with a special emphasis on reading enrichment programs. Searching the internet for such information I am learning two things.

1) The free information on this subject is mostly too simplified and useless.
2) The more academic are locked up in either paid subscriptions to a scholarly service or you must be able to access through your university. Mine, here, is not linked. Nor would I believe I could access it through my former US university as everyone I knew there has left. No contacts left.

Can someone out there help me in finding scholarly treatises on such material free of charge, and of deep research. I am not talking about the promo pieces the various publishers put on the web, but independent articles by educational researchers?

Thanks
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"articles on education"

Sorry, far too general a topic.

"reading enrichment"

Can you be more specific?

Use Google Scholar for access to any of the free publications. Otherwise, join an educational organization for their pubs, or pay a subscription to the journals you think you would like to read from the most.
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two free online refereed journals have got various research articles on extensive reading:

The Reading Matrix Journal

Reading in a Foreign Language

Perhaps you already know that you can get discounted access to a range of journals as a member of TESOL or IATEFL - and there are also useful discussion forums etc and other resources on their sites, so that could also be an option.

The English Language Teaching Journal (a paid subscription journal associated with IATEFL) has just published an interesting special issue of review articles of developments in various areas since 1995. In an article on skills, Amos Paran from London's Institute of Education comments that:

"Our view of intensive reading does not seem to have changed greatly; what does seem to have changed is a rebalancing of reading focuses, with a fairly steady (though admittedly fairly slow as well) move from intensive reading to extensive reading" (p. 455). He also talks about the comeback of literature as a source of reading practice.

Martin McMorrow, Massey University, New Zealand

Paran, A. (2012). Language skills: questions for teaching and learning. English Language Teaching Journal 66(4), 450-458.
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the use of literature in TEFL. It seems that the subject is tackled in a few online journals and individual articles in the pdf format.

Sooner or later you'd have to find an academic library, because otherwise you'd never be able to consult the references listed in any of these articles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: