Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Istanbul is NOT a long-term option for me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Why Istanbul is NOT a long-term option for me Reply with quote

After 9 months of packing-ın worse than a sardine on tramways, and I mean worse than a sardine, and practically passing out on a regular basis from eıther the body-odor, bad-breath, or cigarette smoke, split shıfts, lazy students (lazy ones are actually a tad better than the ones who never show up at all), metro, lack of cooperation when asking for sımple thıngs lıke receıpts for example, etc etc etc oh and let me mentıon the paınt snıffers, beggıng gypsıes, and other undesırables lurkıng outsıde my apartment entrance day and nıght, people steppıng on my feet or bulldozıng me on the sıdewalks or on publıc transportatıon, cuttıng ın lınes, etc etc
I cannot see how anybody ın theır rıght mınd would be able to (let alone WANT to) go through thıs for more than the novelty of say 6 months to a year.

I AM OUTTA HERE. THIS TOWN AINT BIG ENOUGH FOR THE 2 OF US.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly surprising, what exactly did you expect?
Fortunately, you do have at least another 79 cities to choose from for your next gig, only this time try to be a bit more selective about who you work for!
oipivo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's Istanbul. Fortunately (or unfortunately), the work is steady, the pay is decent, and the food is good. If only it were a nicer place to live.
parnett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any large city which has a thriving ESL industry (outside of Europe) will have the same scenario you described so eloquently. Try living in a large city in China, and the things you brought out will seem minor when compared with the spitting, public defecation and urination, incredible noise etc. that is so commonplace here.
I worked in Pusan, South Korea for a year. The noise was unbearable, along with the traffic, rude people and pollution.
I also lived in Istanbul for many years. I had to get out of Turkey every 6 months for a few weeks each time to maintain my sanity.
My advice to you is to go home and stay there (and don't even think about working in Asia).
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say (just to rub salt in) you have only been here for less than a year and you are whining like a little spoilt brat!
Try 15 years of going through the same day to day drudge, I am still here though and guess what, I will stay a while longer, probably because I had the sense and foresight to choose the right city and employers, get some money saved, buy a car, kick public transport, get my own place to live without undesirable neighbours and generally start to live my own life. You can do the same, just spend less on those things that may seem important to your short term happiness, but give you zilch in the long term.
billy orr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out of Turkey every six months to preserve sanity? Are you sure that is the best strategy? Sanity is a much over-rated condition, and doesn't help one at all when it comes to teaching English.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Russia!
parnett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was married to a Turk who had two children (boys 10 and 14) from a previous marriage. Try dealing with everything the poster described and then coming home to a worse situation.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, seen that, got the t-shirt, some people just don't know they are born!
Ahhh, Turkish families, don't you just love them.........! When they are far, far, away!!
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx 2 all who responded----yeah ı know ı could try other cıtıes ın Turkey....
no thanks.....as for Korea ıts true they are ın equal ways rude and boorish, steppıng on your feet and not even apologızıng, etc. In Istanbul gettıng on the tram ıs lıke playıng rugby.

how ıs malaysıa? Smile
delal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Try Moscow then! Reply with quote

Gloomy-you should try Moscow for a while as after 3 months there, you'd be BEGGING to return to Ist!
In the three months I lasted there, I twice had to walk around dead-yep, deceased-drunks to get ınto the metro statıon near my flat. That was before even attempting to get on the metro and battlıng wıth old ladıes (rugby would get you nowhere wıth that crowd) just to get standıng room before the doors snapped shut, threatening to cut off any part of you that was near them. Then there was the smell at 7 am: a blend of body odour, garlic and onıons. If that wasn't enough, I then had to entrust my life to a "marchutka" drıver (similar to a dolmuş but much faster). Getting to work in one piece physically and pschologically was always a surprıse.
Sort of mıss those days Wink
cartago

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in China taxis are reasonably cheap so you don't have to take public transport. I would seriously avoid living in Istanbul unless I had a place reasonably close to where I worked. The smaller cities in Turkey can also be less of a pain, I didn't find the public transport in Bursa to be so crowded. They have the metro and something like shared taxis that go on specific routes and are very cheap.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delal--my wıfe and I thank you for that Russıan tıdbıt of ınfo there Wink Holy crap that sounds bad-- esp the garlıc onıon BO part---I'll take a few dead drunks over bad breath/BO at 7am ANYday! Very Happy
parnett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Istanbul for almost 13 years and found riding the buses, trains, subway etc. less trying than in many other large cities around the world. Would you like to ride the bus in China where each passenger gets his very own spitting bag upon entering the bus? How about Vietnam where the no smoking rules are completely ignored? How about the NY subway where your wife can get groped and you can't find a seat because homeless people are occupying all of them?
I have never ridden on a bus in Tokyo, Bangkok, Shanghai, Paris, London and all of the other large cities I have had the pleasure of visiting in which passengers weren't crammed on the buses/trains like sardines if it were necessary. Turkish passengers are much, much more polite and civil when compared to their Asian counterparts.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Saudi Arabia - one of the few places where a mere EFLer can pretend to be a "pukka sahib" !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: