Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Positions in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chomskyan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: University Positions in China Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm interested in a university position in China. I have a Master's Degree in TESOL and experience at the university level in S. Korea.

I was curious are there more positions available in the Fall semester than the Spring? When is the best time to apply? What are the typical working conditions at Chinese universities in terms of pay and vacation?

Would anyone be able to recommend any universities to work at?

Thanks,
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually the tenure-track positions begin in september. but you need to have have your cv, publications record and everything in the hands of the hiring committee by may. you'll be asked to give a presentation of your research. sometimes your full benefits, with the health insurance and pension, don't kick in until after your three-month probationary period.
Chomskyan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatsforsure wrote:
usually the tenure-track positions begin in september. sometimes your full benefits, with the health insurance and pension, don't kick in until after your three-month probationary period.

Thanks for the information. What are the qualifications for tenure-track positions? I ask this because I only have a Master's therefore I presume that most universities would want a Doctorate degree holder to fill the tenure track positions.

How about someone with a Master's are there non-tenure track positions available?

Interesting to know that there is a probationary period. Do many universities in China do this?

Thanks,
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A masters won't get you a tenured position.
You will be regarded as another ESL teacher with maybe a bit higher pay but not much.
If you're ready to leave now you may pick up an unfilled fall position.
Not in the best areas though.
There will be a minor upsurge in Feb (spring semester) for all kinds of reasons - letting go no-hopers, upsurge in late enrollments.
As others have mentioned, Sept 1 (fall/autumn) is the big start date and you should be in the market around May.
Rather than school look for climate/pollution as a big indicator.
On the coast - say Dalian or Qingdao.
On the school issue look for outfits that are nationally ranked - Ocean U in Qingdao, Maritime U in Dalian.
Not necessarily better on the pay front but a good cred if you want to move on after a year or two.
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about someone with a Master's are there non-tenure track positions available?
Not sure that I could recommend this. These types of positions rarely pay more than U.S. $45,000/year, and they lack a lot of the perks such as a parking place for your car.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University jobs with tenure? $45,000 salaries? Which parallel universe is this? Vast majority of the jobs here are year to year and pay $20-25 per hour, and you're there at the whim of whoever hired you. You'll be gone tomorrow if they don't want or need you, or if someone better or cheaper comes along. The longer you remain in the same job the more stable your situation will become but to start thinking you've got an ironclad guarantee of anything here is foolish.

Probably not many university jobs available right now but you might find something in the early part of the new year. Scour the jobs sites that are in other threads here and that might turn something up.
keeperofpythons

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will still most likely be given the same job as a recent grad with a bachelors in underwater basket-weaving. Your pay could be as high as 500-1000rmb per month higher than said recent grad. There are some joint venture positions that could earn you 2-3k usd per month, but those are very few and even father between. Those who hold those positions usually hold on to them with a death grip. Good luck.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of universities are you looking for?
Big/small city?
Chomskyan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeperofpythons wrote:
There are some joint venture positions that could earn you 2-3k usd per month, but those are very few and even father between. Those who hold those positions usually hold on to them with a death grip.

The joint venture positions sound interesting. Are these usually posted on job sites or are they word of mouth only?

rioux wrote:
What kind of universities are you looking for?
Big/small city?

I'm looking to work at a joint venture program since I would like to make more money if possible. I am also interested in a foreign language university since I would imagine that the students at those universities have a good English ability and I prefer teaching higher level students.

I would prefer a bigger city with a warmer climate. I do not like cold weather.

Thanks,
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google 'foreign language universities china'.
There's one in Dalian and numerous other places.
Dalian is cold though.
Once you have a few targets go to Weather Underground and track the temps of the cities.
FLUs are predominantly female students - say 80 %.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: