Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you don't enjoy CELTA then can you enjoy TEFL?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White ice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: If you don't enjoy CELTA then can you enjoy TEFL? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on whether its likely that if you don't enjoy doing the CELTA course then you won't enjoy being a EFL teacher?

Im sure there are plenty of people on here who have done the CELTA. Did you enjoy it and do you enjoy teaching English now?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure any of these courses are designed with 'enjoyment' in mind. So, yes, I'd say that even if you found the course a harrowing experience, a pleasure-dome of TEFL may still await... hic!

Very Happy
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't particularly enjoy the CELTA, or rather, its predecessor, the CTEFLA (I found it often unconvincing, and overall quite boring and far too shallow/barely skimming the surface), but I've enjoyed TEFLing since, as one is freer once in the job to develop more sophisticated stuff, theoretical underpinnings etc (or at least one's own understanding). There have been several threads questioning CELTA methods and the like, a search will unearth them (and my, and Sasha's etc, comments in 'em). The CELTA may be for many the apparent first word in ELT, but it isn't the last by any means! And I'd be surprised if one could actually enjoy teaching for long by continuing with CELTA dictats, oops, I mean, advice.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many parts of your experience post-CELTA will be different. Observations will be infrequent. Lengthy lesson plans should be a thing of the past (although see other threads about the advisability or otherwise of this). Preparation will initially be even tougher because of the number of lessons you will be teaching, but you will get used to it; it becomes an easier task and more and more of it will become almost automatic.

However, if you really don't enjoy teaching, then that problem will stay. But I doubt if the fault can be laid at CELTA's door.
Kofola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated my CELTA course but I love teaching. I think it probably depends on your personality. I really dislike being boxed into things, so the CELTA approach is far too rigid for me. I like to be able to spend more time on something if I think my students need it or to throw my lesson plan out the window if I can see that they've had a bad day and need something different. I would also agree with fluffy hamster that it's the kind of dummies guide to teaching and that with further reading and experience you come to really understand the principles behind cognition, learning and teaching and it's putting this knowledge into practice that is what teaching is really about, rather than the CELTA tick-box approach.

The main difference, I think, is that when you're on the CELTA you're teaching for the observers, whereas in the real classroom, you're teaching for the students. You develop a rapport and see the mistakes they make and try to think of the best ways in which you can help them. You feel their frustrations but also their joy at understanding/remembering something. It makes all the difference. If you haven't taught before doing the CELTA you may well just associate the stress of teaching in front of so many observers with teaching, when really what you're feeling is CELTA stress/displeasure.

But I also have colleagues who loved the CELTA and love teaching, so I think it's very individual.

The only way to find out is to give it a go.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't speak for tutors at other centres, but the tutors who observed when I took the course appreciated things done for the students irregardless of course requirements.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irregardless? IRREGARDLESS? May I refer you to the Pet Peeves page....

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have written 'regardless'. According to Wikipedia, 'irregardless' is an informal variant (although most of you no doubt use the words don't and haven't when writing here). However, the controversy around irregardless apparently goes back to the early twentieth century (suggesting something fogeyish about its lack of respectability) and its first use was in 1795. Come on people, get with the flow! Access the latest rap, or whatever it is young people say when I can hear what they're mumbling.

(Sashadroogie - Have you a link for the pet peeves? I would be interested.)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I got a link for you!

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=79370&highlight=pet+peeves

To the OP - this is what happens to you after you finish the CELTA and enter EFL full-time... be warned Very Happy
Kofola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well I can't speak for tutors at other centres, but the tutors who observed when I took the course appreciated things done for the students irregardless of course requirements.

Perhaps I wasn't being very clear. Appreciate things done yes, but the primary goal of a trainee on a CELTA course to is to pass a teacher training course, while in real life, the primary goal of a teacher to to help the students achieve their goals. For me, at least, it changes the dynamics entirely and for that reason teaching in the two settings is a very different experience.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha, is this you???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJ-OK4jiSY
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

That's Mini-Me...
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only person in the world who has never quite worked out what's funny (if anything) about Family Guy? Maybe some people just like cartoons (ir)regardless of the content.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdI7RJr9ooA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

does this make you laugh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: