Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching hours, NET scheme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Teaching hours, NET scheme Reply with quote

Hello, Smile

I'm a teacher from England, 5 years exp in Japan and South Korea, I have a CELTA and my MA in TESOL (soon). I don't have a PGCE or PDGE at the moment.

I have a very nice easy job in South Korea, an afterschool program, just working 3/4 hours per day - Mon/Fri.

I am thinking about a move to Hong Kong, mainly for a change of scenery and change of culture.

I have looked on a few websites about jobs in HK and the NET scheme seems to be a good deal. I have been a NET in Japan and Korea too so I'm familiar with the work environment.

A few questions;

1) I was wondering about the working hours (days) in HK for NET's?

2) Is the accommodation provided, or do we find it individually?

3) Is there a bonus or severance pay (in Japan no, Korea yes, how about HK?)

4) I am much more comfortable teaching by myself, not team teaching, what kind of teaching do NET's mostly do in HK?

Thanks so much for any help with these questions, esp question 1.

Cheers! Very Happy
anninhk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NETs are recognised as another member of the teaching staff and so are required to work similar hours to a local teacher i.e. Monday to Friday from 7.45 to 4.00
These hours vary with different schools and sometimes you have to stay later to attend meetings.
Some people have to go in on Saturdays for various things too. I only had to do this a couple of times a year but for other teachers it was more regular.
You have to find your own accommodation and there is a special allowance to enable you to do this.
You get 15% of your salary at the end of your two years.
One of the aims of the NET scheme is to improve the teaching of English in HK schools so co-teaching is an important aspect of this and if you are involved with PLPR-W (the reading and writing programme) you will work alongside two local colleagues.
MoonMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were great answers to the questions, thanks very much!! Very Happy

It sounds like the NET job is more demanding than the same roles in South Korea and Japan. Although, from what I understand the money is better overall in HK.

I have also taught both primary and secondary before; (primary is usually an easier job, but secondary often care less about qualifications).

1) Does anyone recommend primary or secondary? Why?

2) Can you choose your location to work, or is that out of our hands?

(In Japan JET scheme we can't choose location, but in Korea we can).

Thanks again. Very Happy Very Happy
Double Clutcher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anninhk said:
Quote:
NETs are recognised as another member of the teaching staff and so are required to work similar hours to a local teacher i.e. Monday to Friday from 7.45 to 4.00
These hours vary with different schools and sometimes you have to stay later to attend meetings.
Some people have to go in on Saturdays for various things too. I only had to do this a couple of times a year but for other teachers it was more regular

Hey just bumping this up cuz I'm considering applying for a SNET position and am curious about the working hours. Is this info still current and in general, the norm concerning working hours?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst some might disagree, working hours should never really be questioned as 1) you are opting to take the job, 2) are claiming to be professional at what you do, 3) are joining a culture different to your own where expectations are vastly different to what you have been used to, 4) get paid exceptionally well for the work you do and 5) should have hashed it out in the interview prior to signing a contract so that it is on the table before you have even started and 6)....with holidays like ours, you should expect to earn your keep in the term time.

A good school won't take the piss. They'll expect you to work the same as the local teachers - maybe a bit more as you are paid more and you are the only native speaker in the school. A bad school may ask you to work beyond expectation but then that is also up to you to a) research the school you are planning to go to, b) make sure you talk to the person who is leaving and find out the reasons as to why they are making an exit and 3) stand up to your superiors if they start loading it on too much. Whilst it may be a bit uncomfortable after you have told them to shove it, things will calm down and if you still don't like it, two years isn't that long before you can change schools.
oxi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Clutcher wrote:
anninhk said:
Quote:
Some people have to go in on Saturdays for various things too. I only had to do this a couple of times a year but for other teachers it was more regular

Hey just bumping this up cuz I'm considering applying for a SNET position and am curious about the working hours. Is this info still current and in general, the norm concerning working hours?

Yes in short.

For me:-
hours - 750 - 430pm, and I'm usually gone 430 - 440.
Saturdays - 3 or 4 last year, morning only
general school meetings - in Cantonese till 7 or 8pm for local staff - about 5 or 6 last year. I had to stay in school doing 'something constructive' till 5.30
meetings in English - maybe once every 5 or 6 weeks till 5.30.

I'd say it's very reasonable and agree with Joshua2006 - check what you're getting into at the beginning.

The worst for me was getting told at 4.05 there's a meeting 4.00 - 5.30 and why am I not there? Very irritating, but we've mostly ironed that out and I get notice earlier.
oxi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
A bad school may ask you to work beyond expectation but then that is also up to you to a) research the school you are planning to go to, b) make sure you talk to the person who is leaving and find out the reasons as to why they are making an exit and 3) stand up to your superiors if they start loading it on too much.

However...
a) there's limited info - try All NETS HK (yahoo group) or NESTA (but they're members only for the school list - you can ask for info though). I don't know anywhere else to find out about schools.
b) I could never get the contact details for ex-NETS at any of my interviews (for a variety of unlikely reasons - eg. 'He's on holiday so we don't have his email')
3) Indeed - but scary Principals and Panel Heads rule... I managed to demand 24 hour notice for after school meetings by explaining that my wife is scarier than the Principal

Lastly - a, b, 3? Smile
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxi wrote:

Lastly - a, b, 3? Smile
Keeps you on your toes...
Double Clutcher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses! The info is definitely useful for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: