Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviewing with Interac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeeez they buried that down there. I handed my recruiter a single sheet and she didn't say anything, but I'll ask her when I send my passport scan. Not sure how I can expand mine to two pages, though; everything fits perfectly on a single sheet. o_oa
kah5217

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind me asking, did you include objectives and hobbies/interests in your resume? Some places I've applied to like this information, while others prefer you keep it simple and leave them off.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did hobbies and interests and references (3 of them). Still didn't hit 100% full page with all of that. I did keep it bulleted, though. No explanations on "Photography, drawing, crochet, travel" type stuff.

I suppose I could give it the ole college try and increase the font and widen the margins. XD
Nah I'll ask the recruiter when I send my passport if I should lengthen it. She can't send it to Tokyo until after Christmas, anyway.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I got rejected.
kah5217

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Was it because you haven't graduated yet? Such a shame to get through the interview only to lose at the last moment.
Inflames

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's because of not using props. They're going to want to see your students either using props or playing games.

Don't include objectives on a resume. Anyone who requires objectives on a resume is clearly incompetent (I'm applying for a job with your company, what do you think my objective is?).
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
I'd say it's because of not using props. They're going to want to see your students either using props or playing games.

Don't include objectives on a resume. Anyone who requires objectives on a resume is clearly incompetent (I'm applying for a job with your company, what do you think my objective is?).
I was taught to always use an objective statement on a resume. Not sure if it's just an old-fashioned way of doing things, but I've never done a resume without one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,
I hate objectives, too. You want a job with my school/company. That's why you are writing. Anything beyond that should be in the cover letter. When I see an objective, I think, "Gee, this person has never written a resume/CV before, and is only following some prescribed example a recruiter or career guidance counselor told them."

If the ad ASKS for an objective, that's different.

At least, that's how I feel.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your position career wise basically. After a long career in one particular field it would become self evident from the CV what the next step would be, but for recent graduates having an objective shows that they have thought about what they aims are career-wise, and are focused on achieving them, not just applying to any job willy-nilly just to get a job.
Inflames

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two problems with people who recently graduated writing an objective on their resume. The first is that, while they have an objective, they have very little work experience, so the have no idea of what the work is like. As any hiring manager with a large organization will tell you, a large number of people who recently graduated quit within a short time after starting - the work wasn't what they expected. The next is that people are applying for any job and changing it to suit the job ad - people are far more focused on getting a job than on getting a job with their "ideal" company or their "ideal" position.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically it's not because I'm still in school. The application is open to soon-to-be grads, and I was told to simply overnight the proof as soon as I got it in December.
If it's because I didn't use props, it can't be helped, then.

Their wording was abhorrently vague, however. "[Even though you're basically awesome], we're unable to offer you a position at this time."
I got that same wording from my Uni 2 years ago when the budget was so tight they couldn't accept me, and they asked me to apply again the following semester. A more precise rejection should, in my experience, read something like, "Your qualifications aren't what we're looking for" or, "We don't have a position suitable for your qualifications" and the like. "Unable" implies the problem is on their end, not mine, and naturally I doubt that that's the case. I've asked my recruiter about it and will hopefully hear from her Monday.

JET's my next attempt, and then I'll look to neighboring countries. Interac was simply my first choice. Smile
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagiwaramai wrote:
It depends on your position career wise basically. After a long career in one particular field it would become self evident from the CV what the next step would be, but for recent graduates having an objective shows that they have thought about what they aims are career-wise, and are focused on achieving them, not just applying to any job willy-nilly just to get a job.
Actually, the way I look at it, most high level positions should have some sort of objective blurb. It shows what they are thinking about doing with the company based on their experience in a similar industry usually. It's always self evident that the objective of anyone is to get the advertised job, but there are a lot of people who shotgun resumes and don't pay attention to the wording of the advertisement. For entry level jobs, an objective is pointless IMO because it can be covered better in the cover letter. For higher level jobs, the company needs to know where the applicant intends to take the position of sales manager, marketing director, R&D project leader, or president. Just my view.
kah5217

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, if Interac won't take you, JET might not either. Interac is usually where JET castoffs go.

I sent in my application on Thursday, so I'm playing the waiting game. I just hope my picture doesn't scare them off. I don't wear makeup like most other women. Smile
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Unfortunately that wasn't an option. Interac was taking apps and doing interviews before JET even started this year, so even if I'd wanted JET instead...
But I got some helpful critique from the other applicants, and I have time to improve things. I'll be done with school by the time they do interviews, if I'm not mistaken, and thus I'll be able to concentrate fully on preparing.

Regarding photos, I don't usually wear make up either but I threw on some foundation and eye liner to reduce my facial redness (Yay getting all the Irish genes).

Good luck, Kah and Haruka Very Happy I hope you two fare better than I.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
hagiwaramai wrote:
Actually, the way I look at it, most high level positions should have some sort of objective blurb. It shows what they are thinking about doing with the company based on their experience in a similar industry usually. It's always self evident that the objective of anyone is to get the advertised job, but there are a lot of people who shotgun resumes and don't pay attention to the wording of the advertisement. For entry level jobs, an objective is pointless IMO because it can be covered better in the cover letter. For higher level jobs, the company needs to know where the applicant intends to take the position of sales manager, marketing director, R&D project leader, or president. Just my view.
I agree if people are moving industry an aim would be important but for someone mid-career, applying for the type of jobs you mentioned, I take the opposite view that aims are pretty redundant because if the position was not the logical next-step career wise the person would be unqualified and the CV would just be straight in the bin anyway. You're not going to be a sales manager, R and D project leader etc, without a track record in the field, whether you get the job or not just depends on how good your record is compared to other people. It's precisely because recent grads might not have any work experience that they need aims, to show they've thought about their career goals, and are not just sending off their CV to any job they see. Aims can never hurt. They're simply a good, quick summary of ambitions and experience in a few lines, which save recruiters a lot of time. If anything they can be too good, as I think my written aims got me a few interviews a few years ago for jobs I wasn't really into but thought I was, as recruiters ignored the rest of CV, but which I got found out for at interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: