Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruitment in May / Early Summer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argofoto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Recruitment in May / Early Summer Reply with quote

So my lease on my apartment will be up by mid April, after which I plan on finding entry-level TEFL work. I don't have a certificate but would like to go without one anyway, probably Korea, for a year before I decide on the CELTA. Currently, I am saving up money (figure 3K USD should be enough) and I have enough airline miles for a one way ticket to some places...

My question is what places in the world, with medium to high savings potential and easy entry-level access, have major recruitment drives towards the end of Spring or beginning of summer?

...I know it can't be many places and I probably will have to do a language school type of thing (i.e. hagwon or eikawa). I read on the boards that Thailand starts in May, which is another option then.

I am open to almost anywhere pretty much (such as Libya and Myanmar but not actual war zones like Afghanistan). I would like to be able to save $500 and up a month. I live frugally and am a vegetarian, I also rarely drink alcohol (can't say no to good scotch).

For the places that look at stereotypes (white blond female) I am 27, white, male, dark hair, blue eyes, light tan, American, with a B.S. in Maritime Business and a few months TEFL experience working in conversation groups and tutoring.

I also have looked and am still looking at some Maritime universities (i.e. Dalian, China) but no response yet as for their other positions they want experienced ship Captains and I am 3 ranks below that.

Europe is an option (I can acquire papers) but a last resort
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Europe is an option (I can acquire papers) but a last resort

Europe is NOT an option given your (lack of)qualifications and need to save. You will be at entry level, hence start up costs apply and very little chance to make equivalent of 500 USD above living expenses. Early summer is when entry level teachers scrape and scrimp...little work around, even for those with quals and local rep and experience.

Elsewhere...
Argofoto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to be the general wisdom, I was hoping there might be something early summer, but looks like it would be best to wait for the fall (I have a paying job now)... Unless something out of the blue miraculously comes along (and is not a scam...)
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recruitment in May / Early Summer Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
So my lease on my apartment will be up by mid April, after which I plan on finding entry-level TEFL work.
Why after? Save down time and start before. Getting a reply, interview, and visa will take time.

Quote:
Currently, I am saving up money (figure 3K USD should be enough) and I have enough airline miles for a one way ticket to some places...
Unless you have a work visa in hand, a one-way ticket will not be accepted abroad. The airline will not usually let you board because it would cost them $5000 as a penalty.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless you have a work visa in hand, a one-way ticket will not be accepted abroad. The airline will not usually let you board because it would cost them $5000 as a penalty.

May be true in Asia (I don't know) but absolutely not the case for all destinations worldwide. People fly into (and out of) 'my' part of the world on one-way tickets all the time. I've frequently done it myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: