Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NIZWA: Housing, utilities and car rental.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovesand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: NIZWA: Housing, utilities and car rental. Reply with quote

Hello,

If you live in the Nizwa area, or have any answers to the questions below please feel free to answer.

It looks like I will be getting an offer from TATI for a position at Nizwa College of Technology.

I'm thrilled about this but at the same time I have several questions.

1) Does TATI put you up in a hotel (at the town of your assignment) for the first couple of weeks until you find an apartment?

2) Does the College help you find a place or is it up to the individual? Do you get time off to look for a place?

3) How much is it to rent a 1 bedroom FURNISHED apartment and how much for unfurnished?

4) Is it easy to purchase furniture and have it delivered?

5) How much would a single person spend on monthly utilities? (electricity, gas, water)

6) How much would it cost to lease a small compact car? Is it best to lease in Nizwa or Muscat? Do lease cars come with comprehensive insurance or is that extra?

If you could help with the above questions, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of not so good opinions about TATI and if you had looked in this Oman forum, it is right in the first 10 postings. Do not people do a search before looking at these groups?
lovesand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdobbs98,

Thank you for your response and yes, I did read the posts regarding TATI.

Have you had first had experience with them? And if TATI is so bad, can you recommend any other recruiters in Oman that are good.

The funny thing is that I have sent PMs to the people that have bad experiences with TATI so they can elaborate more, but the replies that I get are as vague as their original posts on this forum, but I guess people can write whatever they want when they hide behind anonymity.

If you have had a bad experience with them and you don't want to post it on the forum you can PM me.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they read this board and once you comment about them or anything similar to what they do, they will never respond to any posting you submit to. Just a FYI. I submitted to them and once I posted on contract issues with another school, I never heard from them again and anytime I submit with them I don't get any response. Even though qualified.

If I were you listen to what others post and don't fall into the trap of lousy recruiters or schools. Prime Education is another one that I had signed a contract with the school and the agency they were representing tried pulling the rug from under me. Then PE tried sending me to an agency that had a horrible reputation, I confronted them on the post and both they and the agency claimed it was ridiculous. However, teachers continued to post bad experiences with the agency.

Point is, listen to what others have went through rather than go through it yourself and waste your time and money. There are many good people and schools and just as many scoundrels.
peter50

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car rental is one of the condolence business now a days. One of mine friend have also this car rental business and once he discussed me that he got back his business capital in just 1 year, and now all is profit which he is getting.

MOD edit

Last edited by peter50 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter50 wrote:
Car rental is one of the condolence business now a days.

What does this mean? "condolence business?" To me that would be related to funerals.

VS
(BTW: nowadays is one word... just in case you were unaware of this)
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think peter50 has spammed the forum
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are correct... time to notify the MODs and let them decide.

His posts are mostly incoherent.

VS
aummua

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to apply directly to the colleges in general. It'll involve more research and keyboard strokes on your behalf, but the payoff is about 30% more worth it.

And yes TATI blows. How much more specific do you want than the detail rich story I posted?
Beast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: renting a car in Nizwa Reply with quote

On renting a car in Nizwa.... stay away from mom and pop operations. If your car breaks down, you get charged rent until it's repaired and they won't have a replacement to use. Go to Muscat and rent at the airport from somebody like Hertz or Budget. You get decent rates, you can change cars every couple of months and they keep their cars maintained. Also, their cars have complete insurance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: